PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New twist on an A/C problem!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Aug 2010, 04:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default New twist on an A/C problem!

Hi Folks!

Long time lurker/first time poster here. I actually haven't had to post because everything I ever wanted to know about my '06 TE was found with the handy dandy "search" function!

Today though I couldn't find an answer...or not a direct one. My '06 AC was ice cold a few months ago...like so cold you could hang meat in there. Then it gradually got less cool, so I took it in to have the AC checked for a leak. They evacuated the old refrigerant, found no leaks, and then filled it with fresh refrigerant. Back to being ready to hang meat again!

But as of last week, I noticed the dreaded "AC Compressor-Stumble" sitting at red lights, and the AC was not cold at those times. Not every time, but sometimes. I found that thread, read it all, and figured I'd go check to see if it was the high speed fan like most people had noticed. But, my high speed fan IS kicking on, and now the AC is not cold at all. And my high speed fan is definitely kicking on...you can really hear it. (and feel it with your head over the engine!)

So, with the high speed fan ruled out, any other thoughts? Did it really have a small leak that wasn't detected, and now needs another charge?
Old 06 Aug 2010, 07:46 am
Young Cruiser

Default Re: New twist on an A/C problem!

what about the low pressure switch ?! is it working ? i bet you that this is the case , as when your engine rpm races the low pressure switch turn clutch off to let pressure in pipes to be in certain lvl without that you will loose freon everytime the pressure goes beyond certain PSI , until the compressor is damaged due to the loss of oil and freon !!
i will definitly get it checked and would not use it no more !! it cost way more to replace a compressor than all other problems ! learned it the hard way

if you rather do it your self and you are a mechanical inclined, you can rent or purchase an A/C system pressure gauges and diagnose it properly !
Old 06 Aug 2010, 10:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Bugatti! I just ordered the low pressure switch (thank you Search function) and I will report back once I replace it!
Old 07 Aug 2010, 05:09 am
Young Cruiser

ok good luck

btw, since you are charging it again dont forget to charge it with pag oil ! the system take 512g of 134a (1lb) , dont forget to use the uv dye ! in case of any leak

did you check the switch or you just ordered it anyway

it is the little things that matter most !
Zaid