PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'01 pt is toast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Aug 2010, 05:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to yteka99
Default '01 pt is toast

Lately my battery low light has been coming on more and more frequently. Today on my way home from work my radio cut out than my dash lights, than my tach/speedo/all guages. It started sputtering and jumping around when it would normally switch gears and would ride out one gear instead of just shifting. The door locks went crazy and my a/c didnt even blow almost at all. My windows wont roll down. Any ideas on this PLEASE?! If it helps i had a really big subwoofer system that basically ruined my car.
Old 05 Aug 2010, 05:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '01 pt is toast

Quote:
Originally Posted by yteka99 View Post
Lately my battery low light has been coming on more and more frequently. Today on my way home from work my radio cut out than my dash lights, than my tach/speedo/all guages. It started sputtering and jumping around when it would normally switch gears and would ride out one gear instead of just shifting. The door locks went crazy and my a/c didnt even blow almost at all. My windows wont roll down. Any ideas on this PLEASE?! If it helps i had a really big subwoofer system that basically ruined my car.
Sounds like you need a new battery, maybe your alternator isn't putting enough juice out for your setup. Many people use a second battery for their sound system.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 05 Aug 2010, 06:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree. The PT does some crazy stuff when the battery is going out. You might need a new battery and alternator but yo should be back good as new after that, hopefully.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 08 Aug 2010, 06:27 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I had my battery and coil go out at the same time once and it confused the heck out of me , but usually if you cant obviously tell its a coil then its a battery, make sure it doesn't transform when your inside, because it does indeed do crazy things

Last edited by Freezinghot; 08 Aug 2010 at 08:15 pm.
Old 08 Aug 2010, 09:36 am
Senior Cruiser

I sure expected after reading the title that you had a serious problem, but it does sound like you have a battery issue. Most places like Advanced or Pep Boys will test it free of charge. If you need a good battery on the cheap side the top of line one that Walmart sells is actually an excellent battery and is priced well.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 09 Aug 2010, 04:39 pm
Regular Cruiser

I replaced the battery and it works fine now except the battery light still comes on. And I haven't had subs in a few months but it would come on when i would crank it up for too long
Old 09 Aug 2010, 07:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yteka99 View Post
I replaced the battery and it works fine now except the battery light still comes on. And I haven't had subs in a few months but it would come on when i would crank it up for too long
You may need two batteries or at least a battery made to handle a big sound system.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 09 Aug 2010, 10:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

I only have 2 door speakers in the whole car lol no more subs. Do you think that might have just killed my car with the power drawl? I had a 2400watt amp on a jl Audio 13w7. I also have an ipod/hid lights/radar detector/fog hid lights/ 800watt amp for door speakers always running so is that still a lot for the pt?
Old 09 Aug 2010, 10:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

have an altonater if you need it, cheap,
Old 10 Aug 2010, 06:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

PM'd you.