Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 Replacing ERG-engine with NON-EGR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Aug 2010, 04:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 Replacing ERG-engine with NON-EGR

Engine in my 2001 PT Cruiser locked up. I bought low mile used engine without realizing that my car had EGR valve and used engine DOES NOT have EGR value. Can I somehow modify things to use this new engine or am I SOL?

For example, the head on my old engine likely is OK. Can I use old head on new lower unit?

Or can I use new engine if I replace computer? (I assume original computer would throw a code if engine did not have EGR)

You help greatly appreciated!
Old 06 Aug 2010, 05:53 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Replacing ERG-engine with NON-EGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by srpmoinfo View Post
Engine in my 2001 PT Cruiser locked up. I bought low mile used engine without realizing that my car had EGR valve and used engine DOES NOT have EGR value. Can I somehow modify things to use this new engine or am I SOL?

For example, the head on my old engine likely is OK. Can I use old head on new lower unit?

Or can I use new engine if I replace computer? (I assume original computer would throw a code if engine did not have EGR)

You help greatly appreciated!
Is it a PT engine?

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 13 Oct 2011, 09:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 Replacing ERG-engine with NON-EGR

I am also curious about this - the motor blew in my 2001 PT Cruiser and my husband has found a replacement motor that only has 24, 000 km on it but it does not have an egr valve and my current broken motor does - how difficult or is it even possible to put this in ??? it is another 2001 PT Cruiser motor - just does not have the egr valve...... thanks....
Old 15 Oct 2011, 06:56 pm
Cool Cruiser

Red face Re: 2001 Replacing ERG-engine with NON-EGR

A 2001 and "maybe" 2002 2.4 Engine out of a PT / Stratus / Sebring will work. I think I used a 2002 Stratus Engine in mine.

If you can find a PT Engine, that's the easiest. If you get the Stratus / Sebring 2.4, most everything will need to be switched over. All the mounting brackets, as well as the oil pan and oil pump.

Be careful of the Japanese 2.4 Engines, those won't work at all. The 2 door Stratus / Sebring cars are Mitsubishi.

Lastly, are you sure yours is blown up? Broken timing belt can sometimes cause the Engine to appear locked up. Overheating can warp the head, but those 2.4's are pretty tough Engines.