Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Tailight/ interior light problem. Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2010, 02:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Tailight/ interior light problem. Help!

Hello all. I'm new here and we (my wife and I) bought our first PT about 3 months ago. It is a blue 08 with a automatic. We love it but there is a problem I can't figure out.

When driving at night all the interior lights, (dash, radio, heater and shifter illumination) will go out after about 20 min. They will flash 5 times then go out. The headlights still work but the rear park lights go out also. I can turn them off for about 10 min, turn them back on and they all will work for another 20 or so and go out again.

I have searched the forum and not found any info on this exact problem on a 08. The car is 100% stock. No trailor light adapter or anything. It seems to me like a relay is getting hot and going off. If I cut the lights off for 10 min it has time to cool. Am I even close? Is there a relay that controlls the park/interior lights?

I can do some basic trouble shooting if someone can give me a idea of where to look. I have checked fuses under the hood and all is well there. None blown or loose.

I would like to get this fixed. It's the only problem so far and the car runs great. My wife drives it most of the time and I don't want her to be out at night with this problem for obvious reasons. Should I just take it to a dealer? I don't know if they would even look at it scince it takes time for the lights to go out.

Thanks for any info!
Old 08 Aug 2010, 02:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Tailight/ interior light problem. Help!

Welcome to the forum. I've never heard of a problem like yours and I really can't tell you how to fix it but while I was doing a search I did read where the interior lights go off if you accidentally left the door open when you leave the car. It saves the battery. I know that works because I'm always leaving the tailgate open and the lights do automatically turn off. You also have the dimmer switch on the stalk that controls the lights/fog lights, turn signals.

Lots of problems with that multi-function stalk, usually with the fog lights as there's cheap parts inside the stalk which tend to burn out. Quite possibly something is inside the stalk that's heating up after 20 minutes and is causing the dimmer switch to shut down the interior lights. Not sure about the rear park lights but they are also controlled by the stalk so it could all lead back to that.

Just brain-storming but it does sound like it's possible.
Old 08 Aug 2010, 05:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Would this still be covered under warranty or did you get extended warranty when you bought the car? Sounds like it is the MF switch, I haven't heard of anything like this before.

Welcome to the Forum!!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 08 Aug 2010, 08:27 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks guys. I don't have fog lights for the record. Not sure about the warranty. How long of a warranty would a 08 have had? 2 years? I know we did not pay for a extended warranty. I have seen in other threads about the switch, must be a weak point in PT's. It could very well be the problem and I may do some checking. I may also run it buy a dealer and just see if it's still under warranty. I'll report back with my findings.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 02:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi, i was having a similar issue
I changed a brake light that had burned out and a
bulb socket, the issue stopped...for awhile...

Let me explain
I went to get my car inspected and learned i had a tail light/brake light out
the inspector changed it
i also had been having some battery issues...that night, my husband changed my battery

the next day...whenever i turned on my headlights, my instrument panel and running lights would blink 5 times then stop...then all was black.

i still had headlights,brake lights,blinkers, a dome light,could read my mileage and see the tempeture on the computer to the left of the dash.
I changed the bulb again, then the socket.Everything worked for a few days, then the blinking again.

I would fiddle with it until it stayed on...i was fine with that.
but then, the blinking stopped....no dash/instrument lights,no radio lights no nothing but what i listed above.

today i changed fuses and the multifunctional switch on the steering column...and...nothing.

Im sooooo frustrated i dont know what to do.

my warrenty covers the computer as far as electrical, but not wires and such.

i was wondering if my computer needed to be reset/reprogrammed to reconize the changes....needs to be updated? possibly??

if you find out what the problem is..PLEASE let me know.
annabell_leah@yahoo.com

ty ty

btw, i have an 07 2.4L touring edition
no fog lights
wires and fuse sockets tested ok
MF switch did nothing to help
sometimes...my horn sticks when i honk it
sometimes, there is a drag when i excelorate
and a jolt from the rear when i stop
my high beams work
my plate light doesnt
my back up lights work'
my headlights work
my dome lights work
my blinkers work
my mileage lights up
my little computer off to the left lights up
my brake lights work
and i was told by the dealer there is no relay to control the running and dash lights
...yea i checked into that too lol
good luck, my search continues, i will post if i learn anything

Last edited by annabella; 11 Aug 2010 at 02:56 am. Reason: typo
Old 11 Aug 2010, 02:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

btw, i have an 07 2.4L touring edition
no fog lights
wires and fuse sockets tested ok
MF switch did nothing to help
sometimes...my horn sticks when i honk it
sometimes, there is a drag when i excelerate
and a jolt from the rear when i stop
my high beams work
my plate light doesnt
my back up lights work
and i was told by the dealer there is no relay to control the running and dash lights
...yea i checked into that too lol
good luck, my search continues, i will post if i learn anything

UGH!

Last edited by annabella; 11 Aug 2010 at 02:47 am. Reason: i forgot to add a detail :)
Old 11 Aug 2010, 07:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

annabella,

Good to know I'm not alone and someone else is having the same problem. Did your problem start right after the tailight bulb was changed? Did you have any problem at all before then?

I pulled both tailights out of our PT to have a look the other day. Looks like both bulbs have been hot, more than normal. They still work, but have a black tint to them. The sockets look the same also, black looking on the ends. I'm going to replace both bulbs just to see what hapens and check the contacts in the sockets. I'm just wondering if someone has put the wrong bulbs or cheap replacements in mine, or they are not making good contact, causing too much resistance and overloading the circuit. I'm going to figure this out! I will definitly report back with what I find out.

Last edited by blue08; 11 Aug 2010 at 07:33 am.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 02:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

awesome.
no it actually started after we changed the battery

but you may be right...cheap replacements.
someone said to never use LED lights as replacements in the newer pts.
i dont know how true that it though.And im pretty certain i had no LEDs in there.
ugh it so frustrating..
no one can tell me a thing to help.everyone is dumb founded...they say...hmm blinks 5 times then stops..well that doesnt make any sense...(but now it doesnt even blink)
the dealership,my uncle who is a machanic,the autoparts store and a few pt forums all screamed MF switch.So i thought id try it.
i just wanted to let you know before you started buying expencive parts.
i just bought the MF switch and swapped it out last night.
my husband came around the corner from mowing the lawn only to find me writing my car her death certificate GR! ready to drop it in a river somewhere.
but cant really afford to take it to a dealership and spend all that money for repairs plus miss a few days of work or pay for a rental.
lol i need car medical insurance...haha

After changing the MF switch......i had some issues with the a/c and transmission...a/c blowing hot.tranmission stuttering and jolting after stopping.
if you do change it, you will need to unplug your battery first for atleast 5 minutes to give your airbag time to ..i guess wind down.

i think that battery unplug is what caused the other issues to pop up because this morning i took the battery off for an hr or so, plugged it back in and everything worked ok ...except the runing lights and control panel light...everything i was trying to fix lol.
Old 13 Aug 2010, 05:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, i FINALLY got someone to get some information out of a dealership machanic for me.
Here is what i have,most of those things are run by/through a computer.It is under/near the fuse box under the hood and as you can see there is only one fuse box with very few fuses in it.Taillight comes outta computer connector C3-PIN 8.
They were not specific as to whether or not the dashlights/instrument panel lights/console lights are run on the samething but are assuming so as they seem to blink with the tail lights and fail to light up as well.
You would need to get the dealer ship to hook it up and check that connector to see if power is leaving from it as it should be...steady stream it is most likely the issue or somewhere in that area maybe the computer itself. Mine still has 400 miles left on the warrenty and i was told the warrenty covers the computer.So, i am going to bring her in on monday and see what i can get them to do i will FOR SURE get back with you and let you know if that is the problem.If it is i should be able to tell you what exactly to ask the dealer to do that way they wont do 9 billion things and charge you for each one.
Old 22 Aug 2010, 02:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

It WAS the sensor, just got it out of the shop last wednesday.Its a 600.00 part.With that changed, so far all is working well......keeping my fingers crossed.
Im not sure what sensor it was as the dealer didnt list it on the reciept.