Advertisements
air bag lite/chime

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CREWZIN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Aug 2010, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default air bag lite/chime

How do I disable the air bag lite and chime just long enough so my kid can take a drivers test. 2007 hardtop
The seat needs to be replaced, they say there is a broken wire in it. So I can not get a seat in time for the test. Right side seat
I will most certanly have this fixed..but need time to get the part.
They only give tests twice a month in this rural area.
Thanks
Old 08 Aug 2010, 07:39 pm
Banned

Default Re: air bag lite/chime

Crewzin will probably jump in here soon, since he is a member of Florida's law enforcement. Even if we knew how to do this, since it's a federally mandated law that these systems be intact on all cars of a certain age, it would be foolish on our part to tell you how to disable or in any way override this system. Not to mention the LARGE fine that would be involved. This is a public forum and not the place to post that kind of information. Your child is young and he can take the test after you get the repair made.

Just my opinion.
Old 08 Aug 2010, 08:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I am going to have this fixed. I looked..did not see a broken wire.( so are they telling me a fake story?). If a large person sits in the seat the light will stay off. But a normal person lite and chime.
Looks like there are sensors between the track and floor mount (weight sensors?). Do the sensors go bad? Is there a way to test them? Would sensors from a wrecked car work? Or are they toast after bag inflates?
With all most all of the dealers out of business now..only dealer is in the city(over an hour away)

The dealer says at least a month wait for this repair.
Thanks
Old 09 Aug 2010, 12:50 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Take it to another dealer. The only thing the seat has to do with the SRS system is the occupancy sensor, which rests under the seat cover. The wires go to this sensor to detect when somebody is sitting in the seat. You either need the harness repaired if the wires are broken, or you need a new occupancy sensor. There's no reason you need a whole seat, and there's no reason the dealer should have your car for more than a few hours for a repair like this.

That being said, there's no way to bypass the SRS system and shut the light off. Disabling the system, even temporarily, is very illegal. If the car is going to be in a drivers test (for a state license), I certainly would not play around with it. That would be like robbing a bank across the street from a police station!
Old 11 Jul 2012, 09:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello, there is a simple procedure to disable the enhanced belt warning system. It can be found in the owner's manual and is not illegal, unethical, or immoral. Oh, and I wasn't aware that Florida police enforce federal laws or impose fines on people that they don't know.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 11 Jul 2012 at 09:45 pm. Reason: Unnecessary
Old 11 Jul 2012, 10:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by al9311 View Post
Oh, and I wasn't aware that Florida police enforce federal laws or impose fines on people that they don't know.
It's a federal law that vehicles have certain lights attached to meets federal standards.

I can/will enforce that law and give a citation if those laws aren't followed.

I also impose fines on people I don't know, in fact I've never imposed a fine on someone I did know.

I've also looked through the Owners Manual and don't see anywhere where it says you can deactivate the air bag light and chime. They might have changed things in the second generation with the CAN BUS system. According to sites I've gone to, a scanner is needed to disable the system but looking through the Haynes and Chilton manuals, to disable the system just take the negative battery cable off, but that doesn't help if you plan on driving the vehicle.
Badglas likes this.
Old 11 Jul 2012, 10:56 pm
Regular Cruiser

I'm pretty sure the guys who give driving tests don't really give a crap if you've disabled a dummy light. It might, and I stress MIGHT, be illegal, but the chances of getting caught are ridiculously low. So I'd say go for it, if you can figure out how to disable it.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 08:14 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattmann View Post
How do I disable the air bag lite and chime just long enough so my kid can take a drivers test. 2007 hardtop
The seat needs to be replaced, they say there is a broken wire in it. So I can not get a seat in time for the test. Right side seat
I will most certanly have this fixed..but need time to get the part.
They only give tests twice a month in this rural area.
Thanks
I'm confused, but nothin' unusual about that... Sounds like you are talking about the seat belt light, not air bag. On rare occasions my air bag light takes so long to go off after starting the car that I get a chime. Cold weather seems to be a factor, as well as how long it's been since I last drove the car. So maybe battery voltage is a little low, although it checks good.
Old 13 Jul 2012, 10:00 am
Veteran Cruiser

I'm aware of mandate for manufacturers- NOT aware of a law that requires you keep SRS, in fact OEM's installed a disable switch for certain situations.

In Minnesota, you need (After a certain year) seatbelts, windshield wipers (You don't need a windshield!), appropriate lighting for the year, and good tires.
Only the state patrol can condemn a vehicle, otherwise there a 'fix-it' ticket, but only in theory.
I've NEVER heard of state patrol condemning a non-commercial, non combination vehicle- like my city's vagrancy law- it's not enforced.

It would be impossible for a patrolman to know if there were (operable) airbags on a vehicle or not- It would take experience and tools that aren't available-
IF you crashed and died, there might be an extensive investigation- but you'd be dead!
Old 13 Jul 2012, 11:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

.... if you did or didn't die and the air-bag didn't go off because someone tampered with it, then your insurance (health and life) could (probably will) be void.

Seen lots of "Fix-It" citations given out. Only after the car was stopped for another reason.