Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
New Battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Aug 2010, 11:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question New Battery

I'm pretty sure my battery is original and since its 5 years old I'm wanting to replace it before the long cold winter hits here. I've replaced batteries on all my cars and trucks but the cruiser has such a small engine compartment I'm stumped at how to get the the bracket off that holds the battery in place. Its hard to see anything down there...lol. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 13 Aug 2010, 07:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: New Battery

Use a flashlight, and a long extension on a ratchet. I forget what the exact bolt size is but there's only one bolt in the hold-down. Once that's out you just lift the battery up and out. That's after you take off the air filter and battery blanket that surrounds the battery to keep away the heat.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 14 Aug 2010 at 06:33 am.
Old 14 Aug 2010, 12:09 am
Fanatic Cruiser

I believe the size is just a 1/2 inch, and remember to disconnect the negative first and should probably clean the terminal while your in there, they tend to get real nasty
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 11:44 pm
Young Cruiser

It is very easy to pull off the air filter box it will allow you a large space to work in just wiggle gently untill it pops off. No screws or any thing to deal with
Old 23 Aug 2010, 06:02 pm
Senior Cruiser

I'm coming in late on this issue, but I'll put in my two cents for those who may need the advice in the future:

You not only have to take off the top of the air cleaner housing to get to the battery easily--but also the bottom half of the air cleaner housing. Then, as stated above by the last guy, you have lots of room to remove and install a new battery.

Removing the bottom half of the air cleaner housing is a little weird. Undo any hoses (that's easy enough); then grasp the lower housing and kind of wiggle it (not a lot) while steadily pulling up (the lower housing simply has male ends at its bottom that are pushed into rubber grommets). Make sure you don't bung up the fresh air (plastic) hose that's attached to the right side of the housing, as you're removing it. Check your air filter while you're doing this, by the way....

After doing your battery thing, take care to replace the lower air-filter housing with care. Some Sears guy (on my second battery) jammed mine back in and broke off one of the male ends that fit into the grommets. This event makes for an air filter housing that jiggles a lot like Jello. Fitting the lower housing seems a bit difficult (since you can't see exactly if the male ends are going into the female rubber grommets) until you realize that besides having these male ends to fit back into their female grommets, you also have a sort of two-inch flat guide on the back of the lower housing (it's facing toward the firewall) that fits into a grommet guide of it's own (like a single piece of toast going into a toaster). If you fit this flat guide properly, the unseen lower male ends seem to slide right in. And keep an eye on the fresh-air plastic hose on the right of the housing while you're doing all this. No sense breaking that.

Tim
Old 29 Aug 2010, 08:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: New Battery

Thanks everyone for the info on battery replacement. I finally got around to doing it today and with all the info you guys gave me it was a snap!!
I was surprised to see the negative post was covered with corrosion so naturally got it cleaned up and working perfect. Reading about how many folks had probs with power windows and tops not working after replacement made me fearful but am glad to report everything works fine including the 6 changer CD player so I must have done it right.
Thanks again!!
Old 30 Aug 2010, 08:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Glad it worked out for you!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar