Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
a/c problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Aug 2010, 01:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default a/c problems

hey guys when i run my a/c on full blast i get condensation inside the car on the passenger side of the car can anyone help me with this i would appreciate it thank you very much

Last edited by ape_stein; 10 Aug 2010 at 01:14 pm.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 03:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: a/c problems

April,

That's perfectly normal. Every car with A/C does it. I have a 2 foot wide puddle under or near the passenger front wheel every time I take it back into my garage. Also, the compressor is running when you have the controls set on DEFROST in the winter time or when it's raining, to clear up the windows, so you'll see water run off (condensation) at those times too.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 05:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Crewzin, her problem is she had condensation INSIDE on the passenger side.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 10 Aug 2010, 05:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Sounds like your drain hose is plugged. The puddle is supposed to be on the "outside" (under the passenger front of the car)--like Cruzin mentioned as "normal". I don't know where the drain hose is on the PT, but maybe Cruzin does.

Tim
Old 10 Aug 2010, 07:30 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, sorry about my first post, read it too fast. Got this from PT Do-It-Yourself.net. Doesn't tell you exactly where the drain hose is but can narrow down where the water might be coming from.

If you discovered water on the front passenger side floorboard I would suggest checking the A/C condensation drain tube for stoppage. Make certain that the water you see in the rear passenger side area does not originate in the front passenger side area.

If it originates in the rear area it is not likely that the sunroof is causing the problem given the position of the drain hoses and condition of the headliner. Adequate drainage is provided by a drain trough in the sunroof housing which encircles the sliding glass panel and leads to drain hoses. If a wet headliner or other water leak complaints are encountered, ensure that the drainage system is not plugged or disconnected. The front drainage hose is routed through the A pillar and exits in the passenger side cowl area below the windshield. The rear drainage hose is routed through the back of the vehicle under the headliner and exits near the passenger side liftgate hinge
Old 10 Aug 2010, 07:33 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The drain hose for the a/c can be accessed under the cowl grille next to the washer resevior. It's mounted directly to the firewall.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 07:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Thanks Chris. Search high and low and nothing I could find would say exactly where it was. Guess you had to get to one or two at work.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 11:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks all is it just a tube that dangles by the undercarriage or is it the hose that gos into a silver canister thing? Sorry for the stupid questions.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 07:17 am
Young Cruiser

i hope this would help
"Condensation that accumulates within the HVAC housing is drained through a port (4) that protrudes through the dash panel (1). A rubber condensation drain tube (3) is installed onto the drain port with a retaining clamp (2) to ensure that any condensation completely drains to the ground.

NOTE: The condensation drain tube must be kept open to prevent condensate water from collecting in the bottom of the HVAC housing.

The tapered end of the condensation drain tube is designed to keep contaminants from entering the HVAC housing. If the tube is pinched or blocked, condensate cannot drain, causing water to back up and spill into the passenger compartment. It is normal to see condensate drainage below the vehicle in warm weather.

If the condensation drain tube is damaged or missing, it must be replaced"

Old 11 Aug 2010, 07:23 am
Young Cruiser

the silver canister is the receiver/ dried and it is a part of the A/C cooling system.

while i did replace all my A/C system couple months ago i was never able to find this drain valve even when i had this photo good luck ( i didnt spend that much time looking for it though )