Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
How to reset TCM? Error code P0700

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Aug 2010, 10:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default How to reset TCM? Error code P0700

I've been struggling with an ongoing overheating problem and recently decided to pull out the radiator to flush it and verify it wasn't clogged (it wasn't). Of course, this required me to disconnect the lines from the transaxle cooler at the bottom of the radiator, which resulted in a maybe a pint of transmission fluid draining out.

After putting everything back together, I topped off the transmission fluid and took it out for a test drive. After about 2 miles the check engine light came on and the transmission went into limp mode (stuck in 2nd gear). I drove to AutoZone and had them read the OBD code, which was P0700 = TCM error.

From what I have read on the site and others, this is often the transmission solenoid pressure sensor or failed TCM module (sometimes it can be low trans fluid).

Given that this started after the radiator removal, I've got to suspect that the error is related to the draining of some of the transmission fluid. The fluid level is fine (maybe there was some air trapped in the cooler?).

Is there anyway to reset the error code and get it out of limp mode? It seems to be a stretch to believe the TCM or solenoid sensor failed coincidentally when the fluid was drained. I'd hate to spend $180 to replace the solenoid just to see if that is the problem.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any help offered.
Old 10 Aug 2010, 11:16 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: How to reset TCM? Error code P0700

Try the easy and free method first. Un hook the battery cable, hit your brake lights to bleed off any power. Wait a few minutes and re-hook the cables back up. See if that resets the PCM.

If this desnt work, you may have to get a dealer to pull the more in depth codes, not just the generic 700
Old 11 Aug 2010, 10:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

^^^^^
Agree.
You DID put in ATF + 4, I hope, not just any trans fluid?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 12 Aug 2010, 10:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yep, ATF+4 per the manual.

I have disconnected the battery for approx 45 mins then reconnected. The check engine light is still on with the P0700 error.

I have seen some mentions of air trapped in the transaxle or lines. Is there a way to bleed this out? I did lose about a pint of fluid when removing the radiator, so I expect that there is/was some air in the trans cooler, now maybe in the transaxle itself. What is the recommended way to get this out?
Old 12 Sep 2012, 10:58 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: How to reset TCM? Error code P0700

Hi I just replaced my radiator as well. The same symptoms are happening with my PT. I was wondering if you had any conclusions or advise.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 12:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hey PTRaven, I wish I could provide more detail but it has been a few years since this was posted.

I ended up taking my PT to the local dealer who confirmed that it was a bad TCM module. I let them replace it since it was already in the shop and they would charge a diagnosis fee if I didn't complete the repair. I don't remember the exact cost, but I think it was something like $450 or $500 for the parts and labor. From what I have read, it doesn't look like this would be a particularly difficult repair to do at home. I am not sure if the dealer needs to reset any codes after the TCM has been replaced.

FWIW - I haven't had any issues with this since. Good luck.
Old 13 Sep 2012, 01:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply crackdtooth
The thing is is that my car is my livelihood and when the transmission started slipping and going into limp mode and showing a P0700 a couple of days ago
I freaked out and took it by my local AAMCO and they said (without looking at it) that they guaranteed I'd have to replace the transmission.... ($2700)
I don't have that kind of money so I called a mechanic who got me a junkyard transmission with only 13,00 miles on it for $550.($800w/labor). But after reading your posts, I'm wondering if my transmission really needs to be replaced? This same mechanic is the one who incidentally replaced my radiator a couple of months ago. Even though it's a great deal i can't even afford $800
Especially if I don't need it! I don't expect you to solve my problems, but I was wondering what you would suggest given that our situations seem similar.
Any advice would be appreciated.
By the way, I'm not as mechanically inclined as you but I didn't get whether the radiator replacement had anything to do with the problem?
What I did get, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that the transmission symptoms i'm having (along with a P0700 code) need not mean it's a failing transmission?
Old 13 Sep 2012, 07:51 am
Senior Cruiser

.................................................. .......
i must have missed this info but what year & model?
FS: '03 GT Elec Blue w/rear suicide doors or '03 auto PCM, S3 turbofold, WGA, 3.5" o2 & 3" DP - make offer
Old 13 Sep 2012, 10:01 am
Fresh Cruiser

2006 PT Cruiser Touring 2.4 liter 4cyl with. 110,000 miles
Old 13 Sep 2012, 02:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

PTraven - here is my understanding of how this works. Chrysler designed this automatic transmission with this "limp mode" feature. Essentially, if the control module senses that something is wrong (not sure what that list of somethings includes) it will force the transmission to stay in second gear to avoid causing further damage (by shifting and/or driving at high speeds).

You can (and probably have) gone to a local auto parts store (like AutoZone) to have them connect the OBDII reader to download the error codes causing the "check engine" light to come on. The P0700 error means that the transmission control module (TCM) is reporting an error. I believe that the dealer can get more specific diagnostic info from the TCM, but the auto parts store probably won't have the equipment necessary to get that info.

So, it is hard to say of the P0700 error means that the transmission solenoid pressure sensor has failed (that was my problem) or something else is wrong in the transmission. It definitely doesn't mean that your transmission is shot. It may be, but the P0700 error doesn't always mean that.

If memory serves me correctly, the transmission solenoid pressure sensor cost something like $225. If you are not mechanically inclined, you don't want to try to replace it on your own. Maybe your mechanic that is suggesting replacing the transmission with a rebuilt can do it.

You are in the same dilemma I was. Without getting the dealer to diagnose the true cause of the error, you can only guess about the cause and gamble on the repair. I definitely wouldn't pay Aamco (or anyone else) $2700 to repair or replace it.

You may want to check if there is a local independent transmission shop nearby that would be willing to take a look and propose a fix. Let them know up front that you can't afford to replace or rebuild.

Good luck.

Tags
tcm reset p0700