Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 strting issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2010, 10:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 03 strting issue

Not that I really want to double post but I thought I would create a new thread encase the other is getting lost amongst the other replies,

I hope someone can help...

My wife has an 03 Pt Cruiser that doesn't start anymore. It is a bit of a lengthy story so bare with me since I have tried a lot of trouble shooting to try to remedy this.

So when I turn the key it clicks (solenoid popping out) but does not turn over. I then tried boosting it which did not work thinking it was just a dead battery or something. Thinking it was the starter at this point (hope this is a logical step) I got one from a scrap yard. After struggling for a while (im a newbe at fixing cars) I got the starter in. It worked it started.... But wait unlucky me a week later the same symptoms happened won't start. I took the original starter and hooked it up to the battery and and it does spin (doesn't mean that it has enough torque to start the engine i know).

I have tried getting a code from the ignition no code present however the check engine light flashes 10 times before going solid. ( don't know if that means anything) Borrowed a friends code reader and it says no codes found (not too surprising) Got some contact cleaner and sprayed the crap out of just about everything including the starter relay. With a Volt meter I get 12 volts on the starter post and get 12 volts on the spade connection when the key is turned.

HELP PLEASE
Old 11 Aug 2010, 11:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 03 strting issue

Examine the cables going to the starter and battery. I'd say buy some new ones from nearly any auto place - leave the old ones there, add the new ones in parallel.
Could issue now be battery?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 11 Aug 2010, 02:11 pm
Senior Cruiser

You should at least have your battery and alternator tested at a place that will do it for nothing like autozone/advanced/pep boys and just eliminate the easy stuff.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 11 Aug 2010, 02:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Correct me if I am wrong but I was using a portable 700Amp booster and with the battery disconnected it should at least turn over and it doesn't so that would mean it probably isn't the battery. Also I didn't think that the Alternator had too much to do with actually starting the car or at least letting it turn over.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 06:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadzki View Post
Correct me if I am wrong but I was using a portable 700Amp booster and with the battery disconnected it should at least turn over and it doesn't so that would mean it probably isn't the battery. Also I didn't think that the Alternator had too much to do with actually starting the car or at least letting it turn over.

Have you tried the booster again since you got it started the first time, I was thinking that maybe you are dealing with two issues, You may have fixed the starter but now have either a battery that doesn't keep a charge or an alternator that isn't charging. Good luck it sounds like you have a weird one on your hands.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 11 Aug 2010, 07:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Have you tried the booster again since you got it started the first time, I was thinking that maybe you are dealing with two issues, You may have fixed the starter but now have either a battery that doesn't keep a charge or an alternator that isn't charging. Good luck it sounds like you have a weird one on your hands.
Yeah I have tried boosting it again since the second time it died.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 04:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Here is some more info I am racking my brains but good on this one and I would appreciate some suggestions.

There are no codes (did the turn key 3 times and comes up with done) however if I turn it even just once after a moment it dings at me and the check engine light will flash 10 times before going solid.

I am going to try and bypass the wiring by running another wire in parellel I forgot to bring some wire home from work and i don't have any thing around the house that i could use.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 07:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

90% figured out so far. It is a wiring issue like quicksilverdon had originally stated. However what wire is still my issue since I don't know exactly how a starter works. I got a wire and hooked it up to the positive battery terminal with a jumper cable and I poked it down and touched the solenoid and it popped out. Then I touched the terminal (not the one that the battery is hooked up to) and the starter would spin. I got my wife to turn the key (which engaged the solenoid) as I made contact with the terminal and it started. EXTREMELY frustrating part is now the dumb car starts on its own now.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 09:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadzki View Post
90% figured out so far. It is a wiring issue like quicksilverdon had originally stated. However what wire is still my issue since I don't know exactly how a starter works. I got a wire and hooked it up to the positive battery terminal with a jumper cable and I poked it down and touched the solenoid and it popped out. Then I touched the terminal (not the one that the battery is hooked up to) and the starter would spin. I got my wife to turn the key (which engaged the solenoid) as I made contact with the terminal and it started. EXTREMELY frustrating part is now the dumb car starts on its own now.

Dam bro I feel for you, I'm not sure what that flashing check engine light means but your not the first one that has brought it up.

Old 19 Aug 2010, 04:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Well that issue is resolved. It was the positive power cable going to the starter. It read 12 volts at the starter which really through me off. However I disconnected it and there was a 60 Ohm resistance across that cable. Replaced it with an overkill #2 wire and seems to be starting fine now.

Tags
starter