Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Newbie question about starting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2010, 11:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Newbie question about starting

Hi, I've just bought a PT cruiser (obviously!)

Its a 2001 Limited Edition, Petrol, 2 ltr.

It runs fine - no problems, but it wont ever start first time. 90% of the time it starts the second time, but never the first time.

I'm leaning towards spark plugs, but it's a guess. Would be grateful if anyone could give me some suggestions.

Regards & thanks.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 01:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Newbie question about starting

Welcome to the Forum, have to assume you are "over the pond" using the word Petrol, and not having your profile filled out.
Turn the key on momentarily (to allow the fuel pump) to charge the system, before starting.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 11 Aug 2010, 02:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hi - yes, im from the UK.

I've left the car with the ignition on for over 30 seconds before trying it, but it still doesnt start first time.

(
Old 11 Aug 2010, 02:08 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by species View Post
Hi - yes, im from the UK.

I've left the car with the ignition on for over 30 seconds before trying it, but it still doesnt start first time.

(
The stock wires are garbage, and the plugs might be a good guess.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 12 Aug 2010, 10:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Aggghhhh!!!

Went to work and tried to start the car lunch time - wouldnt start at all. Left it an hour, still wouldnt start.

Not sure if this is something normal but on a few occasions the engine warning light came on - it flashed ten times and then was on.

Eventually when I went hope it managed to start and the engine light went off straight away.

I did the trick turning it on 3 times to see if there was a fault code, but it just said @done@ so guessing there wasnt a code.

It seems almost like it's a fuel problem - so i'm wondering if there is a air or dirt - put some redex in, in the misguided hope that this will solve the problem, but i suspect it wont!
Old 12 Aug 2010, 11:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Update:

Went out again as noticed on one web site that someone said there HAD to be a code when you did the key on key off process. Still no code - under @cruise@ it is blank & then says @done@

It started ok, so then I switched it off and turned the ignition back on - there's the engine light back on again - 10 second flash and it wouldnt start.

Turned everything off & tried again, it started and the engine light was gone.

So there is def a match with the engine light and it not starting.
Old 12 Aug 2010, 02:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by species View Post
Update:

Went out again as noticed on one web site that someone said there HAD to be a code when you did the key on key off process. Still no code - under @cruise@ it is blank & then says @done@

It started ok, so then I switched it off and turned the ignition back on - there's the engine light back on again - 10 second flash and it wouldnt start.

Turned everything off & tried again, it started and the engine light was gone.

So there is def a match with the engine light and it not starting.
You should have a code if you got an engine light and from what I have read here a blinking one is the worse. The fact that you don't have a code could mean that you have some kind of computer issue, but I'm just guessing. You might want to disconnect your negative cable for a while and get the cars computer to reset sort of like a ctrl-alt-del on a regular PC

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 12 Aug 2010, 05:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sometimes a missfire won't set a code.
When is last time you did plugs & wires?
I'd start there.
Also, a bottle of Lucas injection cleaner in the tank can't hurt.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 13 Aug 2010, 01:58 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies.

I dont know about the plugs and leads - i've only had the car a couple of days.

One thing I have noticed is (and this is really just me) that I have to get the car to start I have to:

-Switch on & try to turn the car over. It wont start first time EVER.

-I then switch the car off, so that all the dashboard lights are off, then try again & more often than not it will start.

If I try and start the car the second time without switching the electrics off, it wont start - this makes me wonder if it's something to do with the pump pushing the petrol through - it seems to need at least two start ups (if that makes sense)

Which is crappy if it is the pump as I believe thats in the gas tank!!

I will see if I can see when the fuel filter was last changed too!!
Old 13 Aug 2010, 12:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quick question if anyone in the UK can help.

I'd really like to get some Belden Napa Pt Cruiser plugs, but I cant seem to see anyone who sells them here.

Can anyone recommend an alternative?

Thanks