Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT Cruiser with Very High Mileage!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Aug 2010, 08:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT Cruiser with Very High Mileage!

We bought a used 2001 PT Cruiser Limited Edition MT last December. We have around 86K on its odometer. A few weekends ago, we drove for 200 miles and computed a 25mpg. Well, it was pretty accurate to the specs.

However, last weekend we had an oil change at Walmart and opted for the Hi-Mileage package and opted for a Castrol GTX Hi-Mileage 5W30 oil. After filling up the car, we drove for almost 140miles on interstate and highway, and despite our heavy load (household supplies we bought from Walmart) once we refueled I computed a mileage of a whopping 35.17 mpg !

Can this figure be wrong? Of course, computing for mileage is very simple but I just can't imagine getting mileage as high as this.

I just want someone to confirm such experience. And if validated, I would like to share our experience to all those PT owners.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 09:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT Cruiser with Very High Mileage!

1. You will need to do several cycles of mileage checking to confirm this. It could be that you just got a "short fill" on that tank, and could actually have put another gallon or so in.
2. Unless you have verifiable proof that the timing belt has been replaced, plan on getting it done straight away. We bought our 2001 at 80K and had it changed out immediately. The belt was OK. Not great, but just OK. The peace of mind was worth it. While in there, also get a new OEM water pump and tensioner put in. Get the work done at a shop that does a lot of PT Cruisers because the timing marks do not line up in a straightforward manner. They make sense, just not the same sense as other cars. (Did that make sense?)
3. Check the spark plug wires. If they look brittle or otherwise dried out, replace them with some decent wires. This is a pretty simple job. I recommend MSD wires for a PT Cruiser or Neon Turbo. Those for a 2004 Turbo will fit your 2001 just fine. They fit mine just fine. Also install new spark plugs. Ignore the plug gap chart on the car and gap to .038 to .040 inches. Chrysler changed that in a service bulletin and the newer cars have an updated sticker.

As for mileage, I have noooo idea what mine get on the highway. Ours only get driven in the city. And I keep books in each car so I know every time. My 01 gets about 18 to 22 in town depending on who drives. My 04 gets 20 to 25 in town, but it has a manual transmission. I get the best mileage of the drivers in my household, but I don't have the lightest foot. It's because I drive a diesel pickup truck with a manual transmission, and that really affects habits.

Have fun!
Old 11 Aug 2010, 09:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Mileage can be computed after only one trip but it takes averaging many trips to really see what your getting. Do you know your exactly filling the tank up the same amount each time? Are you just going by when the pump automatically shuts off? That's doesn't work even if it was at the exact same pump.
Old 11 Aug 2010, 10:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

@Matt42 and CREWZIN

You do have very good points.

Although I am happy I got that high computation, I do know that it would take an average of more trips to conclude and validate that claim. And yes, there are many parameters that should be considered.

Nevertheless, if PT Cruisers can go that high then it would be good news for all owners. From now on, I will observe highway mileage and make sure I use the same pump to refuel (more so since they're cheaper).

Thank you for the insights!
Old 11 Aug 2010, 10:37 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronad View Post
@Matt42 and CREWZIN

You do have very good points.

Although I am happy I got that high computation, I do know that it would take an average of more trips to conclude and validate that claim. And yes, there are many parameters that should be considered.

Nevertheless, if PT Cruisers can go that high then it would be good news for all owners. From now on, I will observe highway mileage and make sure I use the same pump to refuel (more so since they're cheaper).

Thank you for the insights!

If you really want to keep track of your MPG, check my sig

Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 12 Aug 2010, 12:23 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Use this method to compute your mileage:

*fill the tank and reset your trip meter
*wait until you're down to 3/4 tank left
*record your miles at the 3/4 mark
*record your miles again at the 1/2 mark
*record your miles one more time at the 1/4 mark

Take your data from 3/4 and 1/2. You have a 15 gallon tank, which is 3.75 gallons per 1/4 tank. Take your total miles between 3/4 and 1/2 and divide by 3.75. Do the same for the data between 1/2 and 1/4.

Now, take your total milage between 3/4 and 1/4. This is a half tank range, or 7.5 gallons. Divide your mileage by 7.5

All three final numbers should be similar. Take the average of all three to get a pretty accurate mpg rating.