Valve INT,
Valve EXH,
Seal Valve,
Gasket PKG,
Spring PKG,
Gasket, EX,
Gasket IN,
Antifreeze
replaced when we had the cylinder 4 misfire. Let me remind you that the car had the small block replaced before we bought it and didn't know it. Anyway, the cylinder 4 was only holding 100 compression because of all of the above and was only getting 11-12 miles per gallon. Well when I took it home it was still getting 11-12 MPG so I took it to Auto Zone and bought that stuff you put in the gas tank, it's to early to think of it lol. Anyway I put it in the tank, filled up, and took it back on the road and the miles per gallon started to rises to 14 until I hit the highway and then it jumped to 18 when I hit the cruise control. Two days later the MPG has dropped slowly from 18 to 16. Is this normal?
Old 15 Aug 2010, 10:04 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Gas mileage and the latest news

Apparently your using the built-in fuel mileage guage that comes with the newer models. I wouldn't rely on that for any kind of accuracy but at least it's reading better mileage than it did before all the work. As for the guage jumping up and down, yes they all do that. Once your on the highway (especially on cruise control) it will go right back up again.
Old 15 Aug 2010, 11:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You need to figure your mileage when you fill up either by using pencil & paper or you could like some of us and use Fuelly.com to keep a running total of mileage.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 18 Aug 2010, 07:07 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik

I love the fuelly.com never knew about it till I came here.
I use to always do mine with pen and paper....still document with pen and paper for the in car log book/notebook but now I get a recipit and add the fill ups at home to fuelly I was surprised as hell when it said I'm getting what I'm getting cuz the previous owner said the best he could get was 22 mpg....so maybe he just wasn't figurin it out right or something LOL.

speaking of which sometime today I gotta do a fill up ROFL.
I've tried to add everyone from this forum as friends on fuelly too just to be a nerd ROFL. At least the few that I know are on there.

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed
Old 18 Aug 2010, 08:23 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by srebik View Post
I love the fuelly.com never knew about it till I came here.
I use to always do mine with pen and paper....still document with pen and paper for the in car log book/notebook but now I get a recipit and add the fill ups at home to fuelly I was surprised as hell when it said I'm getting what I'm getting cuz the previous owner said the best he could get was 22 mpg....so maybe he just wasn't figurin it out right or something LOL.

speaking of which sometime today I gotta do a fill up ROFL.
I've tried to add everyone from this forum as friends on fuelly too just to be a nerd ROFL. At least the few that I know are on there.

Hey my PT friend and fellow fuelly user, I wanted to let you know you have one reading on Fuelly that is off you must have missed putting in your mileage so don't be surprised if it heads down a little. I had to check because I was totally impressed with your MPG.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 18 Aug 2010, 08:53 am
Regular Cruiser

yea I know that one spike that made it up to like 46 mpg.

I agree its weird as heck considering nothing else is even close to it.
I'm not sure where I missed it or what but it actually seems legit I double checked the input several times.

for that fuel up I made anotation that it was when I drove to El Centro which is over 100 mile drive from my current location to go see my dad 95% all freeway. and on the trip there the elevation increases very slightly for a long time but there's dips where you can get good speed and cruise in neutral for several miles. and the last half-hour of the trip is a super huge and long pretty much flat straightaway into town (most boring part of the trip).
I think I kept going no faster than 55mph while under throttle and whatever the down hills would give me while in neutral.

on the way back is a tad different its a steep incline and then a really like 15-20 mile 6% grade all the way home nearly....so I think I was able to coast and just be real easy on the throttle. I probably also ran that tank into vapors before refuelling.....when the gas light comes on I'm alot easier on the throttle.
ands its mountains so I probably did not run the a/c for it would've been cold enough I'll bet.

those are the only explanations I have.
up until I joined fuelly I was just keeping recipits with my odometer reading on them in the glove box and I was missing a few and some I couldn't read when this happened I tried to indicate I missed a fuel up....I'll re-look and see how much gas I put in and see if it was partial fill up but I don't believe so.

even still I'm getting 25 mpg so far this month....
that one time must;ve just been a weird fluke because it was just 11 days between fill ups and still filled up 13 gallons......the only other potential idea I can have is that my roommate when borrowing the car put in 5 ot 10 or 20 bucks worth of gas between my fill ups and either I forgot or he didn't tell me and thus that gives me the reading I have.

over time it will balance out though it might not be 100% perfect but if its getting 24 mpg+ I'm doin better than most pt owners on fuelly.com, and I'm doin better than my 1984 corolla sr5....so all in all I be happy with that LOL.

I'm lookin through my fill ups I'e had 2 times over 40 mpg and one time over 33 mpg.....strange.
I'll get my notebook out of my car and re-enter everything again.
looking at my average days between a fill up 11 days does seem like it might be a tad too long of an interval between a fill up.

though I still think that over time it will sort of balance itself out. as long as it stays above 24 mpg I'll be happy.....though when and if I get some cash to buy some go fast parts I'm sure gas mileage will drop because I'll be putting my foot in the injector for a little while ROFL.

Old 18 Aug 2010, 09:02 am
Senior Cruiser

srebik

Whatever your doing it's working for you, I'm sorry now I didn't get the five speed you get a couple of MPG's better right off the bat.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 18 Aug 2010, 09:22 am
Regular Cruiser

Advise drive like a grandpa/grandma and piss everyone on the road off.
I try to go no more than 60 mph which for most freeways here is 5 mph below the limit.....its a speed LIMIT people not a speed REQUIRMENT
I also don't mind following semi-trucks going 55 mph....they part the air for me LOL....plus it gives me a perfectly good excuse to go even slower on the freeway ROFL.
I also buy the same brand(chevron is my crack) of fuel as much as possible...probably doesn't mean jack but it makes me feel good ROFL.
I also like synthetic oil. (currently using mobil 1 advanced fuel economy 0w-30...I might try that new castrol edge though next time)
Rather high tire pressures I like mine all set above 40 psi.
I also like to check oil and fluid levels during a fill up and tire inflation after a fill up.....and air cleaner inspection is pretty often as well(somewhere around every 5k miles usually replace around 10k-20k somewhere in there).
I have heard that if you start noticing a decline in mpg its a good idea to replace your air filter...or clean it if its a reuseable one.

and I believe in the seafoam product, ran a can through the gas tank and ran half a can through the crank case just before my oil change.
some people say this stuff eats stuff away I personally don't think so
BG makes good products too(the toyota dealer I worked with and I think now the honda dealer I use to work with uses BG products for like fuel injection services and power steering flushes and stuff), I haven't used the berryman that much so no real experience with that, but they have been around for years so they must be doing something right

yea I never really noticed how different the mpg between an auto and stick was before since all my cars were pre-1990, and all had something wrong with them.

coast as much as possible....that can be done in an auto as well....some places even recommend shifting into neutral while at a stop for better wear and tear on your auto tranny.....might be worth while to get in that habit.