Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Manual trans hard 1-2-1 shift

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Aug 2010, 12:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Manual trans hard 1-2-1 shift

Well the GFs 06 PT cruiser is making me mad again... Neat little car in some ways but... Anyway it shifts fine when cold but when it warms up it's getting close to the point where you won't be able to get it to shift into 1st or 2nd. She does allot of stop and go driving on the freeway here going to work at the airport. Anyone familiar with 820 going to DFW knows what I mean. Constantly from 1-2-1-2-1-2 the whole way.

Car has 45K on it and was wanting to know if anyone has replaced the syncros in their trannys. I got out of working in shops when the PT came out so I never messed with them. DOne my share of auto rebuilds and the few standards I rebuilt... well autos are easier to rebuild since they don't have all those spring rings, dogs and all those other tiny pieces.

The stock shifter bushings were crap and had way too much flex in them. I replaced them with poly ones and much less slop though the shifter is so cheap that you can see it flex when shifting. Needs to be reinforcred to the floor.

Also does anyone know of a good shop in DFW that does standards.(not many around anymore)
Old 15 Aug 2010, 10:55 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Manual trans hard 1-2-1 shift

Im not sure whereabouts specificly, but theres some good places still left out on crowley road, if you even know the area i mean
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 16 Aug 2010, 02:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Having the same problem. Is yours also only when shifting gears in 1st and 2nd? I can shift fine in the other 3 gears-a little stiff, but not like 1st and 2nd.

I'm thinking it might possibly be a synchro issue.

I replaced my shifter with a short throw, booger bushings, and solid mounted the shifter as well.

Here is a thread with a couple of possibilities:
Stiff transmission when hot?
Old 22 Aug 2010, 01:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yeah it's only real an issue with 1-2 the others shift fine. And only an issue when hot.

I did a little messing with it the other day... Luckily it looks like it isn't a syncro problem. It's a clutch problem. It isn't releasing. When I got in it after it was hot I had to put the clutch to the floor to get it to release and even then it isn't fully released. It should release about half way but I have to put it to the firewall to decently release the clutch. If I let the pedal out just a tiny bit it's already starting to grab just enough that it'll start to move the car on a flat surface.

So... Need to look at the hyd clutch on it. Looks like either a bad master or slave cylinder. Unless the clutch uses the brake MC for it's fluid resivoir too... If it does and the brakes are dragging a little creating heat then the hot fluid will cause the clutch MC/SS not to work very well. Same symptoms as overheated brakes.

I'll look at it when I know I'll have enough time to mess with it and she doesn't need the car for a bit.

I did the booger bushings and I have to say that the OE bushings are pure garbage. There was nearly 3/16 of flex in the large bushing. What a poor design. Everything shifter wise is extremely sloppy.

Oh and the clutch was fine until just after the warranty ran out on it... I can't believe she has so little miles on it.06 with 45K that's still brand new to me.

Well I will check out the clutch and report back. Going to make a few marks on the trans. One where the slave cylinder moves to when cold and then see how far it moves when hot.
Old 07 May 2012, 04:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm having the same problem and I don't want to get a new clutch. I'm hoping it's the hydraulics instead so I can get the hurst short throw shifter and booger bushings. Can anyone help with this? '06 PT base with manual trans, 17 in chrome rims, sat radio, aftermarket tint.
Old 07 May 2012, 04:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

When you say "help" do you mean with the hydraulics?
Old 07 May 2012, 05:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes, I'm hoping that the master or slave cylinder is the problem and can be fixed istead of the clutch.
Old 09 May 2012, 10:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry, can't help. The shop fixed mine.
Old 09 May 2012, 11:49 am
Senior Cruiser

I would bleed the brake fluid in the reservoir, bleed the brakes and then bleed the nipple on the trans to get fresh clean fluid in.

Also has the trans fluid been changed?

I have the getrag and just changed the ATF fluid in my new to me 05GT . The fluid which was orignal with 13K miles had all sorts of sparkle nasties in it.
Amsoil had a white paper on testing on rear differentials. THey did oil analysis on the gear lubes and the conclusion was that 80% of the wear in ppm of metals occurs in the first 5000 miles and the percentage move is to dump the original fluid in any compartment like a diff or manual transmission soon after brake in to get the debris out. THis will lead to long gear, synchro, bearing and seal life.

I have 3 of the manual GT's and never had any issues with the clutc hhydralics, but I do freshen up the brake fluid every 6 months by suctioning out the fluid in the reservoir and every other year bleed the brakes so the fluid is clean and moisture free. I assume this would help the clutch slave cylinder. Note on my 03 there is seperate reservoir just for the clutch and there is alway black nasty particles in it when I suction it out.

A little PM in my opinion goes along way.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 09 May 2012, 11:54 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcam84 View Post
It's a clutch problem. It isn't releasing.
engagement problems (especially in low ranges) are near 100% clutch dragging / not disengaging.

Quote:
I did the booger bushings and I have to say that the OE bushings are pure garbage.
Boogers; FTW!!!

Quote:
Wanting to know if anyone has replaced the syncros in their trannys.
For future reference, you won't notice difference between a worn synchro blocker and a brand new one- trust me

For T-350 (non Turbo)

1. You can't replace 1-2 synchro blockers; chrysler only sells entire output shaft
2. The trans will still shift acceptably with synchro blockers worn to zero clearance!
3. You can press output shaft apart and swap synchro's, it's 12-20 tons.

4. Synchro's 3-5 and reverse brake are easily replaceable

5. Shift fork plastic loves to wear. These are replaceable or brazeable.