Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hard Downshift on Automatic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2010, 09:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Hard Downshift on Automatic

Hello. I'm new to this forum and a new PT Cruiser owner.

I recently purchased a 2008 PT without turbo - pretty basic model, from what I can glean. I couldn't pass up the price. And I love driving this thing!!

When I'm slowing to a stop, there is a hard downshift that jars the vehicle. Doesn't happen all the time. If I break hard, it doesn't occur. If I very gradually allow the vehicle to stop, it doesn't occur. Unfortunately, neither of these scenarios is "average" driving. I don't beat the thing, but I'm no grandmother, either.

Anyway, wondering if this is typical for PT or if I should get this checked out.

Whitty
Old 16 Aug 2010, 10:01 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hard Downshift on Automatic

Our 2008 did the same thing, we took it to the dealers and they reprogrammed (flashed) the TCM and all was well. Did you get the car from a dealer? If so, they should be able to reflash the TCM and take care of this.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 16 Aug 2010, 10:23 am
Obsessed Cruiser

You don't say how many miles - you should have the tranny flushed (not chemicals, just a machine that gets all the fluid) and refilled with ATF + 4 - may not cure it, but promotes longevity.
Runs around $200.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Aug 2010, 11:16 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Ours only had about 12000 on it when it started.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 16 Aug 2010, 01:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks, all. I have about 40,000 miles on it.

I've read elsewhere where disconnecting the battery will require the TCM to essentially re-program itself and in the course of doing so could make necessary adjustments to correct the problem.

Any reaction to that?
Old 16 Aug 2010, 03:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

^^^ It's like chicken soup - can't hurt.