PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Remote Keyless Entry problem

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Aug 2010, 11:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Remote Keyless Entry problem

I should have known better! I was parking my 2003 PT Turbo in front of my house when my neighbor asked for a "jump start". I had never done this before and only later found there is a special positive post to connect a cable to.http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...es/redface.gif

My neighbor seemed to be in a hurry so he connected the cables direct to my battery, his car started right up - end of problem- glad to help-http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

BUT then... I tried to lock my PT with the fob which had been working fine - doors did not lock; used rocker switch on door to lock - nothing! I pulled the #10 fuse under the hood it was good re-inserted the fuse - viola the remote worked - ONCE!http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...lies/frown.gif

Now nothing works to lock or unlock the car except manual locking and key unlocking. Did my neighbor "fry" the RKEM when he jump started his car? Why did the keyless entry work that ONE time after pulling the #10 fuse? Help- Friends of the PT Forum. I need to know what to tell my neighbor what it will take to fix my car. Thanks so much for your ASAP answer(s)
Old 16 Aug 2010, 12:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Remote Keyless Entry problem

The post is only for safety - electrically it's the same as the battery....
Try taking out and re-inserting the fuse again - perhaps it's loose.
Was your car running when you did jump? Has nothing to do with your problem, just wise since if you don't, you could end up with 2 dead cars....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 16 Aug 2010, 01:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Remote Keyless Entry problem

Thanks for your answer about the auxiliary battery terminal . My car was running when the jump was made. After the #10 fuse was removed (fit was very tight) and reinserted as I said the locks worked ONE time. All other attempts meet with no function of the door switch or the fob. I did a reset of the automatic lock function and no change. I just removed (again) the #10 (40A fuse) and nothing. I do hear a multiple clicking sound @ the RKEM area when I press the unlock switch on the door and on the fob. I note the inside fuse panel position #10 has a 10A fuse labeled "cluster - RKE SKIM " . I removed this fuse but still hear the clicking sound of the RKEM. Any way to narrow the problem down to the RKEM without replacing it? Could it be the door lock/unlock motor (my wife tells me she heard a 'different sound' when she locks the car). Her hearing is better than mine! I am good at troubleshooting a problem but at age 72 I have a bit of a problem working in tight spaces. Thanks

Last edited by sheepshine; 16 Aug 2010 at 02:22 pm. Reason: adding information
Old 17 Aug 2010, 02:16 am
Fanatic Cruiser

You've checked fuse 10, now check fuses 13, 1, and 3. When checking fuses, use a multimeter. Don't just pull them out and look at them.

Chrysler does not have a method of testing the RKE system without the DRB scan tool.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 01:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Talking Re: Remote Keyless Entry problem - SOLVED

Dear heifetz17,

Thank you so much for helping me solve the problem of the RKE not functioning. It was a blown RKE fuse in #3 (inside the car) position.

What are the lessons learned that may help others:

1. Think twice before you give someone a jump start. I could have used a portable battery - jump starter to help my neighbor. It would have taken just 5 minutes more time. I wound up spending several times that 5 minutes trying to find the problem.http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...lies/dance.gif
2. Look for the simple solution first. I tried doing this (my background is in electronics so I knew all about using a multimeter to check fuses but I relied on visual sighting. The #3 fuse looked good - but the ohmmeter said "open"!http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...milies/eek.gif

3. Give enough detail on this forum so that those who read and seek to help can get you to the solution quickly! Thanks again heifetz17 for reminding me to use a meter to check fuses!! http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...milies/1st.gif
Old 18 Aug 2010, 01:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Strange it worked the one time after the jump....

Be glad it was only a fuse...
Old 04 May 2014, 04:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I know this is a four year old thread...but what if you don't have a multimeter? Are they expensive?

What about the fuse box under the hood to solve a problem like this?
Old 04 May 2014, 06:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You can buy a multimeter for under $10.
The underhood fuses cover different things than inside fuse panel.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Old 05 May 2014, 01:16 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
You can buy a multimeter for under $10.
The underhood fuses cover different things than inside fuse panel.
Harbor Frieght gives them away for free. Check their weekly flyers. Most of the time, they give those and other stuff away with no purchase required.
At the top of the flyer, there will be a 20 or 25% off any singe purchase as well as 3 or 4 free things they give away just to get you in the store.
I go there almost every week to get my free tape measure/scissors/multimeter/ or magnifying glass but almost without fail, I find there is some tool I need. That place gets me every time. HA!
rcktpwrd likes this.
Old 05 May 2014, 08:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AZPT View Post
Harbor Frieght gives them away for free. Check their weekly flyers. Most of the time, they give those and other stuff away with no purchase required.
At the top of the flyer, there will be a 20 or 25% off any singe purchase as well as 3 or 4 free things they give away just to get you in the store.
I go there almost every week to get my free tape measure/scissors/multimeter/ or magnifying glass but almost without fail, I find there is some tool I need. That place gets me every time. HA!
Free is less that $10...

There's a HF 20 miles from me - if it was closer, my garage would be full!