Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Where is the 5th quart of oil?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Aug 2010, 07:35 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Where is the 5th quart of oil?

Hopefully I'm not opening an old discussion, but in searching the forum I couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I'm working on my sister's 2005 non turbo and am finishing an oil change and coolant flush. After draining the engine for 6 hours I went to add in new oil. 4 quarts later the dipstick showed oil up to the max line. I don't want to overfill the engine, but where does the 5th quart of oil end up? Every time my sister took her car to Jiffy Lube, they'd put in 5 quarts and the oil on the dip stick would be 2 inches past the full mark. Am I doing something wrong here or is this normal?
Old 17 Aug 2010, 07:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Where is the 5th quart of oil?

It always seems to me that 4 quarts ain't quite enough, but 5 is overfull. Shrugs. I buy 5 and end up with most of the 5th in the back. Next time I'll buy 4 and use the leftover.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 07:55 pm
Regular Cruiser

Maybe thats why everytime I get the car back from Carmax it is a half a quart low.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 08:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Does some of it not go into the oil filter? That is why you run the car and recheck it right after a oil change.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 17 Aug 2010, 08:11 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The owners manual calls for 5.0 qts on an oil change with filter. You can't go wrong throwing the whole 5 qts in so don't worry about it showing a bit over fill. Brian, you are having JL put in a new filter, right? I wouldn't trust trust them unless I can see what they are doing. Next time, if you can, get under the car and mark the old filter some way so you can see if they are changing it.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Aug 2010 at 08:15 pm.
Old 17 Aug 2010, 09:57 pm
Young Cruiser

I hadn't had the chance to run the engine yet as the radiator was still draining. Went to refill the radiator and realized I bought the premix coolant instead of the straight stuff and had already added in the requisite amount of distilled water and Redline Watter Wetter. Once I complete the radiator fill and burp, I'll check engine oil again. I'm not against tossing in an extra quart for the heck of it, but if the dipstick comes up full, I don't see the point of adding much more. Thanks for the tip on the oil filter when taking to Jiffy Lube. I don't use those places myself, but my sister has no mechanical ability whatsoever and that's why I'm working on her car now. The filter was on so tight I couldn't get it off with a filter wrench and had to use grip cloth and the wrench. Godzilla must have put it on with an impact wrench and who knows how long its been on there.
Old 18 Aug 2010, 03:21 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Just a tip when doing a coolant change. Don't fill the system with water first, then coolant or vice versa. Mix the coolant in a seperate jug. Then you'll have a half empty jug of water and a half emtpy jug of coolant. Pour that remaining coolant in the half jug of water, then you'll have two gallons of mixed coolant that you can proceed to fill the system with. That way you get a perfect 50/50 mix every time.
Old 18 Aug 2010, 06:14 am
Young Cruiser

Heifetz17, that process was exactly what I had planned on doing, until I realized I had no spare jugs around. I figured the water and antifreze would begin to mix as soon as the thermostat opened and the water pump ran. By the way, you mention 50/50 mixture as of course does the service manual. I know for some of the other cars I work on some people will run less antifreze in the summer and add Redline Water Wetter. I haven't yet searched the forum for discussions on this, but does the water pump require a 50/50 mixture for proper lubrication? Are there any corrosion problems with the radiators if using a lower quantity of antifreze? The reason I ask is that unlike Billings, MT where you get a couple weeks of good heat in the summer time, here in San Antonio we can get a 2-3 week run up over 100 fairly regularly and the rest of this season is in the mid to upper 90's. Keeping coolant temperature low is something always on my mind this time of year.

Last edited by briancpearce; 18 Aug 2010 at 06:16 am.
Old 18 Aug 2010, 06:43 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik

I think the extra oil will go into your filter.
when working at saturn the guide would say 4 qts but we would put in 4.3 because of the filter.
toyota was similar but they just told us the exact amount to put in including the filter.

also I have heard that the turboor gt filter is a tad longer than the non-turbo required filter, but both fit and this turbo filter can hold close to a quart of oil.

Next time I do an oil change I will probably buy the turbo filter...bigger sometimes is better.

Putting in a little extra oil never hurt but putting in alot of extra oil does hurt.
after the engine gets hot I usually check the oil two or 3 times like when I get a fill up on gas before I am satified with the reading taking into account any oil that might have or still be splashed up in teh dipstick hole messing with the reading.

but yea the usuall method is drain oil and take off filter replace filter and put drain plug back in fill in with 4 qts, start engine check for leaks, turn engine off check dip stick and top off as needed. had to do that a few times with non-toyota cars when people brought them in the alfa romero was the wridest one super small car with a relativly good sized 4 cyclinder and 7 qts of oil I was like what the f*** its not even on the dipstick yet?!?!?!

As for coolant I haven't checked the chrysler owners manuel but most owners manuel will give some leeway when it comes to the percentage of coolant especially if you live in extreme conditions like EL cajon, El centro, and San antonio, el paso, pheonix, yuma....you get the idea.
I think for extreme heat temps its alright to go with a 60% water 40% coolant mix....water is a better heat dissipator than coolant is but coolant helps lower the freezing point of water so it doesns't freeze in like st paul minnisota, and increases the boiling point so you don't boil your water out of your car....same thing with a radiator cap adding pressure that rasies the boiling point of water as well.
Also helps with corrosion control too.
50/50 is the usually stated mixture because its easy to get right-enough (pour in 1 gallon of coolant and 1 gallon of water and you have a 50/50 mixture no math or weighing or guessing involved), and it gets the job done with a wide safety margin, that being said a little more water than coolant in a high temp place wont hurt. and probably vise-versa a little more coolant in a nearly always freezing state wouldn't hurt(though I have no experience with that I live in a hot state nearly all year ROFL, only time we see snow is on TV usually)
I've heard other people recommend water wetter though I personally have never used it myself.

as for keeping cooler some people like to use a lower temp thermostat which is a hott rodder trick back in the muscle car era, I have yet to read about that for these vehicles though I do know the fet performance chip stage 2 does say it requires a 180 degree t-stat....of course I have no idea what eh stock tstat is rated.

Other people like big fancy aluminum radiators I have yet to see one for the pt cruiser, but I'm sure someone has made something fit/work.

and others like to use fancy hoses to keep the heat in the coolant and thus going to teh radiator instead of being dissapated out into like the intak emanifold and stuff.

and even others like using bigger fans to suck more air through the radiator thus helping with cooling.....

and of course even others like to do all of the above.
usually though its not needed, alot of times it just adds bragging points, but they are functional mods which make sense unlike say a throtle body spacer and stuff ROFL.

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed
Old 18 Aug 2010, 09:14 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancpearce View Post
I hadn't had the chance to run the engine yet as the radiator was still draining. Went to refill the radiator and realized I bought the premix coolant instead of the straight stuff and had already added in the requisite amount of distilled water and Redline Watter Wetter. Once I complete the radiator fill and burp, I'll check engine oil again. I'm not against tossing in an extra quart for the heck of it, but if the dipstick comes up full, I don't see the point of adding much more. Thanks for the tip on the oil filter when taking to Jiffy Lube. I don't use those places myself, but my sister has no mechanical ability whatsoever and that's why I'm working on her car now. The filter was on so tight I couldn't get it off with a filter wrench and had to use grip cloth and the wrench. Godzilla must have put it on with an impact wrench and who knows how long its been on there.
Reminds me of my Jiffy Lube adventure

Never underestimate the stupidity of Jiffy Lube!!!

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson