Advertisements
A/C Question

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18 Aug 2010, 07:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default A/C Question

Hi folks. New to the forum.

I am having an A/C issue. I have read through 2 summer's worth of A/C problems and didn't see what I needed. Along the way I did learn that my fog light issue could be due to a faulty multi-function switch. Thanks for that info. I think I'll just leave the fuse out for now.

Last summer my A/C stopped blowing cold air. Hot at idle and while up to highway speed. But it was heading into fall so I wasn't too concerned. This year I forgot about it until it was hot in the middle of summer. I asked around and got 'low refrigerant' as the most common possibility. I have a can, but can't find the low pressure service port. I have felt all along the tubing from the firewall until I get to the compressor. I have also picked up a service manual and looked in a Haynes (or Chiltons) manual. The pictures seem to show that both should be up on top near each other, but I can't find the low pressure connection.

I also checked that the clutch is not engaging, and that the pressure switch for the low pressure cutout is open so either I do have a low pressure or the switch is bad. I have not tried jumping out the switch.

2004 2.2L Auto

Thanks
Old 19 Aug 2010, 04:41 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C Question

The first question is where do you live. They don't have the 2.2 ltr PT cruisers in the U.S. only 2.4 so your A/C system could be different than the people we are used to helping. For instance mine, like the Haynes manual shows, has both service ports for the A/C right on top, close together for easy access. Chrysler might have changed things around in 2004 (your year) and the Haynes and Chilton manuals only cover from 2001 to 2003.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 12:49 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The 2004 2.2L is a turbo diesel. Is yours a diesel?

In any event, your engine size is irrelevant. The a/c system will be basically the same. The differences come in the different parts, such as the compressor. The basic design of the system is roughly the same regardless of the engine.

The low side port will be between the compressor and evaporator. This is port you use to charge the system. The high side port will be between the compressor and condensor, and will be the smaller of the two lines.

Refrigerant doesn't just go away. Most likely the problem is a worn o-ring or seal somewhere and the refrigerant has leaked out. If you don't use the system regularly (even during winter) the oil in the refrigerant doesn't circulate and the seals dry out and crack.

You can try recharging the system, but it will likely be a temporary fix. Not definately, though. A recharge may be all it needs! Doesn't hurt to try that first!
Old 19 Aug 2010, 02:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the replies and sorry for the mix-up. I must have flashed back to a different car.

It is a 2.4L non-turbo, gas engine, auto trans

I can post a pic, but I am curious if there is something unique starting with the 2004 model year or some of the '04s.

I felt and looked all along the both sets of tubing. As best as I can tell here is the flowpath: The smaller high pressure side comes out of the compressor, there is a high pressure port, goes through the condenser, it seems as though there is another high pressure port along the way to the firewall, goes through the firewall to the evaporator, comes back through the firewall as a larger tube, goes through an accumulator or filter about the size of a pop can, then back to the compressor, but I can't find a service port between the firewall and the compressor in the larger diameter tubing.

Based on the reply heifetz17 it sounds like the port on the compressor outlet is the high pressure port which is right on top of the compressor and the one on top between the condenser and the evaporator is the low pressure port. But the tubing on top is still the small diameter and I didn't think the low pressure part of the system started until after the evaporator.

I was hoping to just get by for a little while and just do a home recharge for a few bucks rather than sinking some money into the car. I only plan on having it for about another year or so.
Old 19 Aug 2010, 03:05 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, if it helps: Here's the picture from the Haynes manual and it looks just like mine.

The line that they are adding the R134a to is the one that connects to the Accumulator (pop top size can) and the other line goes through the firewall to the evaporator.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 08:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin, sounds like I got the flow path figured out, but there is no service port that I can see between the accumulator and the compressor. The low pressure cutout is on the accumulator and that's the only other connection. Did they start using the same point for the pressure switch and the service port?

I posted a couple of pictures hoping that another 2004 owner would comment if this is the same as their setup and where the low pressure port may be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mms_picture.jpg (39.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg mms_picture2.jpg (43.0 KB, 41 views)
Old 20 Aug 2010, 08:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Wow, break out the hose!

Here's an older thread talking about the location of the low side port.

a/c port help
Old 23 Aug 2010, 03:59 am
Young Cruiser

wait a second !

are you sure that this car is 04 none turbo !! i think that the hose configuration is the same as mine which is 2006 !! the low pressure service port is right there in your pic !! it is covered with the a small black cap !! while the high pressure switch is all the way down almost by the compressor !!
t1sby likes this.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 04:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. I was hoping to hear from someone with a similar setup. I thought the connection in my picture was also in the high pressure line since it was between the condenser and the evaporator. I was expecting to see a port in the larger tubing on the return path from the evaporator to the compressor.
Old 02 Aug 2012, 05:16 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This is the same setup I have on the '09. Since the compressoer is not engaging, you might try to do the short@ the low pressure sensor , to see if it will just kick on.
Since it was getting hot @ Idle, I noticed on some of the other posts, that the fan was not kicking on when the A/C was in High/Max, as it should. Check yours out to, to see if it is coming on. Be careful though, try to use a mirror or something, not your hands.!

Tags
a/c questions