PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
odd issue since replacing the alternator.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Aug 2010, 04:44 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Ironman
Default odd issue since replacing the alternator.

Hey guys, a few months ago I replaced the alternator on my PT (the one in my sig) After I did this I had huge problem with the engine stumbling any time I started it up,idled, or came to a stop-sign. I knew that this could only be an ignition problem, and the most common of these are spark-plugs and wires. I was due for them anyway. so I threw in new wires, new plugs, did an oil change, new air filter, fuel system cleaner in the gas tank, I even cleaned the battery contacts. The problem went away.

Well now it's back again after only putting about 3000 miles on it, its ever so slight, only happens before the engine warms up, and goes away as soon as I turn the wheel or hit the brakes and the engine revs up a bit to provide the power for power steering and/or brakes. What do you suppose the culprit is? I had a new battery put in last winter under warranty so I don't think that is the issue. Any clues where I should start to eliminate this issue? Do you suppose I put too much tension on the alternator belt? Would that even cause this issue?
Non Turbo, Automatic Transmission 2003 Touring Edition, 104,xxx miles so far. Extras- cruise control, fog lights, sun roof, rear defroster, ABS, rear disk brakes, six speaker sound system, power locks, power windows, A.C., window tint, locking glove box. My personal mods so far- removed white air restricter, white hibiscus flowers sticker above the rear hatch lock, nice white primer/rust splotch underneath the passenger side tail light from bodywork...more to come once the money starts flowing freer and the car is payed off
Old 19 Aug 2010, 07:14 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: odd issue since replacing the alternator.

You might try cleaning or replacing the IAC (Idle Air Controller).

Old 20 Aug 2010, 11:58 am
Regular Cruiser

why would that be a problem right after replacing the alternator though?
Non Turbo, Automatic Transmission 2003 Touring Edition, 104,xxx miles so far. Extras- cruise control, fog lights, sun roof, rear defroster, ABS, rear disk brakes, six speaker sound system, power locks, power windows, A.C., window tint, locking glove box. My personal mods so far- removed white air restricter, white hibiscus flowers sticker above the rear hatch lock, nice white primer/rust splotch underneath the passenger side tail light from bodywork...more to come once the money starts flowing freer and the car is payed off
Old 20 Aug 2010, 12:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your the one who said that it could ONLY be an ignition problems. I was just pointing out another possibility. Plus, several months pasted before you had a problem after installing an alternator before and now 3000 miles went by before you have another.

9 times out of 10 after you install a new part it will show up bad before that length of time or mileage and besides, you fixed it without having anything to do with the new alternator. The problem went away so it sure sounded coincidental that it happened after the alternator install.

I was giving you another thing to look at. Our PT's aren't exactly faultless. Different things go wrong all over the engine.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 20 Aug 2010 at 12:59 pm.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 01:13 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Your first mistake was assuming that those symptoms could ONLY be an ignition problem. As a matter of fact, a more common cause of those syptoms is a vacuum leak. What better confirms this is the fact that the symptoms lessen or go away as the engine warms up.

Check all your vacuum lines. Perhaps you loosened something while doing the alternator and forgot to tighten it? Otherwise it's probably just a coincidence that this happened after the install.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 03:45 pm
Young Cruiser

Bad motor mounts (uper and lower torque) passanger side tend to create that as well
Old 21 Aug 2010, 05:20 am
Regular Cruiser

Hmmm, well I cleaned the IAC valve (along with the rest of the upper intake) @ around 80,000. But I'll check it again.
How does one go about checking the vacuum lines?
What do bad motor mounts look like?

Thanks for the replies so far!
Old 21 Aug 2010, 07:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Just a visual inspection is all you can do for the vacuum lines but you can spray a little WD40 around the seems of the upper intake and where the upper meets the lower to check on vacuum leaks there. As far as the motor mounts, a visual check plus watch how the engine reacts as you give it gas while at idle. Shouldn't rock and roll very much.