Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2004 PT Boiling Over Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Aug 2010, 02:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2004 PT Boiling Over Help

Hello all my 2004 pt is boiling over it doesnt over heat untill enough fluid leaves the radiator and fills up the res tank.when the car gets cold the water DONT return back to the rad so i have to add more anti freeze i love my car but it is driving me nuts and no mechanic can point me to the problem i dont want to start throwing mony away at all the possible fixes any ideas would help car has 64,000 miles i am original owner and maintane it better then my kids lol...jk also i dont have water in the oil no smoke out the tail pipe and no water leaks any ideas thanks.....
Old 20 Aug 2010, 06:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2004 PT Boiling Over Help

You're going to have to spend some money to hopefully get your PT running again without overheating. The problem could be the thermostat, radiator cap, partially clogged radiator or one of the fan speeds not working.

Are you running only HOAT designated coolant at a 50/50 ratio mixture in the radiator? Almost anything else will clog the radiator. Is the fan that attached to the radiator running? If you sit at idle when everything is cold, turn the A/C on and see if the fan comes on also. If it doesn't, part or all of the fan motor has burnt out. A very common problem.

That should get you started.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 03:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks crewzin i dont have the correct anti freeze i have the green prestone stuff in there i took it to get flushed out last year and now the overheating begins crewzin i did notice that the thermostat has been modified to allow the water to free flow cold this be why i get cold air from the heater and the two hoses that run to the heater are always cold any ideas thanks.
Old 20 Aug 2010, 03:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If you mean the thermostat has been taken out to allow free flow yes, that will cause a problem. The engine needs to run at a certain temperature so things will work properly. The cold air form the heater should eventually turn warm/hot as the water temperature finally reaches normal.

The wrong coolant can cause problems and especially the inside of the radiator can deteriorate and cause a full or partial blockage.

You have to get things (thermostat/coolant) back to where they should be.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 05:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

i am going to change out the rad and the thermostat can i use the zerex g-05 50/50 mix? also last question when i bleed the car do i have to let the car run to temp and then bleed it and after it reaches temp do i turn it of and bleed it or leave it running and bleed it thanks for your help crewzin.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 07:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Sorry, not sure about the Zerex. Does it say anything about being HOAT. Not just saying compatible with all makes and models.

The radiator:

Radiator Maintenance: Bleeding Your Radiator
Old 21 Aug 2010, 08:10 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Sorry, not sure about the Zerex. Does it say anything about being HOAT. Not just saying compatible with all makes and models.

The radiator:

Radiator Maintenance: Bleeding Your Radiator

The g-05 is ok, it's HOAT, that's the stuff I use.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 23 Aug 2010, 05:27 pm
Senior Cruiser

Try a new radiator cap--from the dealer. Also, you bleed the system until the bubbles stop coming out the bleed bolt hole. Definitely have the proper thermostat installed in your system. It's a must!

Tim
Old 26 Nov 2010, 02:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello sorry i been away but my pt is still boiling over will a bad water pump be at fault as well i know my heater core is clogged cause only one hose gets hot and the other one is cold and the heater only blows cold air it was working fine before the overheating started any ideas?
Old 26 Nov 2010, 03:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewzin04 View Post
Hello sorry i been away but my pt is still boiling over will a bad water pump be at fault as well i know my heater core is clogged cause only one hose gets hot and the other one is cold and the heater only blows cold air it was working fine before the overheating started any ideas?

Yes, a bad water pump will definitely make the car overheat but there's usually tell-tale signs when the pump goes bad like a small leak coming from the bottom of the pump.

A clogged heater core would also inhibit the coolant from completing the cycle and cause over heating.

Google Image Result for http://www.familycar.com/classroom/Images/Cooling-System.gif