Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
02 PT check engine light is flashing?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 Aug 2010, 01:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 02 PT check engine light is flashing?

hello!
I have an 02 pt with about 89,000 miles on it. I've been out of town for about a month, and while i was gone, my car was just sitting in the driveway. when i got back I cranked it up to make sure it started okay, which it did. A few days later, I restarted it again, and the check engine light came on( flashing) and the car was like, rattling. I'll be honest, I haven't changed my oil in a while. And I really don't know much about cars so I just turned my car off and went back inside. I don't have a trusty mechanic around here so I kinda wanted to get a general idea of what could be wrong before I have to take it anywhere. Any ideas?
Old 20 Aug 2010, 01:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 02 PT check engine light is flashing?

Welcome to the forum. (where in central Florida?)

First, don't take it anywhere. A flashing "check engine" light is to warn you than there something wrong and you could do a lot of damage if you keep driving.

You need to use this link and follow the instructions to find out what codes are stored in the computer. That will help diagnose the problem.

How to retrieve fault codes.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 09:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you!
I'm in east orlando, around the UCF area. I did the key thing, and no codes came up. it only said 'done'. I haven't tried cranking the car or anything since it started acting up. it's only the second time my check engine light has ever come on, and the first time it's ever flashed.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 07:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

With no codes to go by, it's hard to even guess since you don't even see/hear/feel a problem except for the flashing light. You not changing the oil in awhile shouldn't have anything to do with it except if it's really low and the oil light wasn't on so hopefully we can rule that out.

I don't know anyone in your area so if you can, ask around for someone to trust as your going to have to hook up a scanner to pinpoint what's wrong.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 08:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

So i tried to start the car again yesterday and now it won't even turn over. the engine light stayed on and so did the oil light. i just a quart of oil in it but when i try to start it, it just makes clicking noises and sounds like the engine wants to turn over but can't.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 08:34 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Usually clicking noises are the sound of the starter that doesn't have enough power from the battery so a weak battery is probably your problem for not starting. You'll need a jump start from a good battery or power pack.

Your lights, horn, radio should all work which means the battery has some power but not enough to turn over the engine.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 02:36 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

The oil light and check engine light will stay on until you start the engine. They come on automatically with the ignition and should go out once the engine starts, so I wouldn't worry about the oil light. At least until you get it started.

If you start it, do not run the engine with the check engine light flashing. If it starts flashing, shut it off immediately!

Tags
engine, engine light