Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Wipers come on by themselves??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Aug 2010, 01:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Wipers come on by themselves??

So...I feel stupid with my latest issue... But- my wipers randomly come on by themselves and won't turn off. They seem to be in a delay wiping mode. I can generally turn them on and off several times and eventually they will shut off again. I went to just pull the fuse to get it to stop...but apparently there is no fuse they are connected to?? Anyways...I assume there is a short somewhere that is causing this issue but if anyone has an answer as to what or where I need to be looking to attempt a fix- please give me some advice.
Thanks-
Old 21 Aug 2010, 01:24 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Wipers come on by themselves??

Hundreds if not thousands of owners have had problems with the multi-function stalk on the other side of the steering column. Their problem was the fog light that wouldn't turn off. It's not a far jump to think that the wiper switch on the right side could also have problem although you are the first one I've heard of.

You don't say what year your PT is but if it's 2001-2005 you do have a fuse for the wipers in the interior fuse box. It's #15.

The other stalk is about $75 and is pretty easy to install. Replacing the wiper stalk might be your only option.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Aug 2010 at 01:30 pm.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 01:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It is an '06 with only 58,000 miles. Everything about it was great until a huge tree fell through it after an ice storm. Now it seems little by little I am replacing everything on the damn thing... I will check into a new stalk though. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to get them to shut off? I have thought about pulling a wire out of the stalk and simply attaching a toggle to it so I can at least cut power to them...
Old 21 Aug 2010, 01:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have the new fuse/relay charts for the 06+ models and their doesn't seem to be anything mentioned about a fuse or relay for the wipers. It's probably tied into something else and they just didn't bother to mention it in the chart.

Wires from both the stalks and the radio and who knows what else are pretty tight and they are mostly in a wiring harness that goes down the steering column. Owners also have problems with that too because the wires get tangled and stretched with the column is moved. That might be your problem also but that's just a guess. If you have an adjustable steering column yo might try adjusting it to a different position. Other than that, there's just a couple screws and wiring clips that hold that wiper stalk in place. You can try taking it out and seeing if there's anything physically wrong with the wiper stalk.

With a major blow like a tree hitting the cruiser (major crash) it's hard to tell what might have been actually banged and moved to give you problems.

BTW: Looking through sme older posts I came across another owner with yor problem but it was never resolved.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...-shut-off.html

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Aug 2010 at 03:36 pm.
Old 21 Aug 2010, 03:56 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin...I will try the steering column thing but I suspect I will end up pulling the stalk and checking for rubbed wires. They do seem to be linked with the blinker as well as hitting bumps as either is likely to make them turn on so my guess is somewhere within the wiring harness the problem lurks.