PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
performance rumor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Aug 2010, 03:43 am
Young Cruiser

Default performance rumor

hey guys

just talked to a friend that works at CA maintanance and repair facility of all state owned vehicles (he is one of the head mechanics there, in one of the shops) anyhow. he was swearing that they were instructed to use oil grade 15-40 diesel to all gasoline engines as well as diesel that includes all trucks and passenger cars(used by their engineers) with service interval of 12k !! i couldnt belive it add to that they tried synthetic oil for a year (i believe last year ) and found that there ware more troubles with their fleets enignes and were instructed not using it !! anyone have more info about this, is it possible to validate this !
I'm NOT using that grade oil, he also mentioned that they had a training ceminar to explain the reason for using this type of oil buttom line they were told diesel oil has more compression porperties than regular or synthetic and it is better for the engines !! Oo
Old 23 Aug 2010, 04:17 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: performance rumor

Well, to be honest i dont see that it matters. Most pt's last forever with no problems. Just depends on your climate for which oil to use. Contrary to most beliefs , all synthetic oil does is last longer,and holds is viscosity better, nothing more. You dont get better mpg, and theres absolutely no reason that it would make your engine last longer, its mostly a sales gimmick.
Ive known diesels to use 10w-40, but its a really thick oil.
Even if this is verified i would still go for the manufactures recommended oil over any.
And if ive learned anything by living in the united states all of my life, chances are if the government does something, state or federal, its wrong :/
Take a look at amtrak...postal service...GM...Fannie May...did i leave anyone out?
Point being, dont believe it because the goverment does it.
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 11:13 am
Cool Cruiser

15-40 is the same as desiel 15-40..
in viscocity,
its diffrent in the amounts of accepted sulfer content.
desiel being lower
basicly sulfer hurts motors.
i dont know about 12 k on a gasoline motor,
thats dumbass
gasoline breaks down oils much faster than desile, , good luck replaceing thouse motors
Old 23 Aug 2010, 12:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Synthetic oil is proven better for engines.
I suspect the reason is $ - California is in a buget crisis and they made up a story to sell longer oil changes, but it's crap.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 23 Aug 2010, 06:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Synthetic is proven to be better only by the people who turn a profit from it.
Ive seen test after test and it has shown to be no better for the engine, you just dont have to change it as often (which i would end up changing it every 6 months anyways out of habit)
All it does is resist oxidation by using organics. Fact is, people with 100k$ cars dont want to use the same oil that a person that owns...lets say...a vega...uses. So companies step up and make an oil with lots of technical babble that amounts to more money for them, traditional marketing.
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 23 Aug 2010, 09:59 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezinghot View Post
Ive seen test after test and it has shown to be no better for the engine, you just dont have to change it as often (which i would end up changing it every 6 months anyways out of habit)
All it does is resist oxidation by using organics. Fact is, people with 100k$ cars dont want to use the same oil that a person that owns...lets say...a vega...uses. So companies step up and make an oil with lots of technical babble that amounts to more money for them, traditional marketing.
You have any links that prove that regular oil is as good as synthetic because I have never seen one. Because I will switch back to regular in a second but all the test I've seen all say synthetic is better by a long shot.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 23 Aug 2010, 10:10 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

How do you figure its better? I honestly dont care what oil you use, just trying to warn you that you wasting your money. Cars used normal oil for years and years before synthetic even came out and they were just fine, if not actually better. Ive never owned a ford that i didnt put 200k + miles on before it finally went. Never used synthetic on them.
Think about it logically , why do we use oil? To stop friction and transfer heat away. Why would organic compounds help that unless its in an extreme condition?
When I change my oil every 6 months it has no discoloration or burning due to too much heat, so its transferring the heat away fine, and the viscosity is the same whether its synthetic or regular so it lubricated just as well, the only difference that adding polymers and other compounds does , is hold up to heat better under extremes, EX: racing and such with extended wear and abuse. Also, most synthetics arent even synthetics. Take a look at what the labels say. A good oil filter will do you worlds more good than any synthetic oil , i promise you that much at least.
I dont want to take the time to search for links to prove common sense, but take my advice or dont, just thought i should inform about the issue.
But you might as well keep buying into corporate marketing, ignorance is bliss.

Last edited by Freezinghot; 23 Aug 2010 at 10:20 pm.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 04:18 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to Ironman

The differance between synthetic and standard was easy to tell in my Pt. I get better mileage and a smoother idle with Castroil synthetic, than I do with Castroil regular. But I have had other vehicles that likes standard oil better.
Non Turbo, Automatic Transmission 2003 Touring Edition, 104,xxx miles so far. Extras- cruise control, fog lights, sun roof, rear defroster, ABS, rear disk brakes, six speaker sound system, power locks, power windows, A.C., window tint, locking glove box. My personal mods so far- removed white air restricter, white hibiscus flowers sticker above the rear hatch lock, nice white primer/rust splotch underneath the passenger side tail light from bodywork...more to come once the money starts flowing freer and the car is payed off
Old 24 Aug 2010, 05:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezinghot View Post
Really?
I would like to see one of those "tests" you've seen. Everything I've read is that synthetics are better in hot and cold, reduce friction, and last longer.
Old 24 Aug 2010, 06:14 am
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverdon View Post
Really?
I would like to see one of those "tests" you've seen. Everything I've read is that synthetics are better in hot and cold, reduce friction, and last longer.

Same here, I can't think of any test I've read that said regular oil was as good. Is it good enough sure it is, if you change it on time. But Synthetic oils withstand higher temperatures before breaking down, and have more base stock and less viscosity modifiers in other words they are more lubricant and less add on chemicals and thinners to reach a certain weight.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson