Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Question regarding noise at 40 mph and above

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2010, 03:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Question regarding noise at 40 mph and above

Greetings all. I just purchased a very clean 2006 PT Cruiser Touring Edition with 66k miles and an automatic transmission. It's a great car and like it very much. I did notice something though that gave me pause. When driving at speeds at 40mph and above, I notice a faint whirring sound that becomes more pronounced when veering to the right but not so much to the left. Once the car drops to below 40mph the sound fades away. This doesn't happen all the time but seemingly more often than not. Have any of you encountered this before? If so does anyone have any ideas as to the cause? I don't think it is tire noise as it seems to be coming from the engine. Thanks for any wisdom you can share!

Last edited by ChrisM2010; 25 Aug 2010 at 03:38 pm. Reason: add text
Old 25 Aug 2010, 03:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Question regarding noise at 40 mph and above

Welcome to the forums.
Does it groan when you turn at lvery low speed, as when parking?
Check your Power steering fluid level - on left behind radiator - it gets filled with ATF + 4.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 25 Aug 2010, 04:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Many thanks for the quick reply quicksilverdon. No groans when turning at low speeds or when parking. Just the whirring sound at 40mph +
Old 25 Aug 2010, 04:36 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This might have nothing to do with it but when I first bought my PT down to Florida one of the first trips was down the parkway to the airport. I heard this noise as speed that drove me buggy trying to figure out what it was. Turned out to be the wind noise around the antenna. I usually had the stereo loud enough not to hear it but I had picked up visitors at the airport and had the stereo off.

A shorty chrome antenna took care of that.
Old 25 Aug 2010, 05:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Crewzin as well for your reply. If it weren't for the sound becoming more noticeable while veering to the right the scenario you describe could be a possibility. Did you notice this at the same speeds I mentioned, 40mph +?
Old 25 Aug 2010, 05:18 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I wasn't watching the speed, but the parkway is posted at 70 for most of the way. It did go away at certain speeds and didn't notice if it went away while turning as the turns are in slight curves and not really a turn.
Old 25 Aug 2010, 07:06 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Let's eliminate the tires as a possiblilty. A tire noise from the front could sound like it's coming from the engine area and would explain why the sound gets more pronounced when you veer/turn.

Rotate your tires and see if the noise transfers to the back of the car.
Old 27 Aug 2010, 02:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks everyone for your replies. I've had the car checked out and it seems the left wheel bearing needs replacement. The car only has 67K miles on it so I'm wondering after how many miles have any of you had to have the wheel bearings replaced?
Old 27 Aug 2010, 02:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Someone just posted in the: Wheel Bearing Poll, 190,000; NEVER!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 27 Aug 2010, 03:16 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM2010 View Post
so I'm wondering after how many miles have any of you had to have the wheel bearings replaced?

Here's some reading for you if your really interested ......

Poll: Wheel Bearing Replacement

Poll: Who's NEVER replaced their Wheel Bearings