Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2006 pt over heating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Aug 2010, 08:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2006 pt over heating

Hey guys , brother has a 2006 pt non turbo with the same overheating problem as others in the forums. I read a lot and see that if the ac is on , the fan should be running, or is the 06 different ? and ware is the fan relays located on this year model. and it idols at only 500 rpm. is this 2 low ? Thanks for any reply and help.....sam.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 04:54 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: 2006 pt over heating

The fan doesn't always run with the a/c on. It only runs when the coolant reaches 180 degrees, and shuts off again when it cools to 176. Run the engine for a while with the a/c on and see if it eventually kicks in.

Other than that, what about the obvious stuff? Coolant level, coolant flow (radiator could be blocked), condition of the coolant, 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water, etc?

If all that checks out, move on to the more in-depth stuff. Water pump, thermostat, possible leaking heater core, possible leaking heater hoses, etc.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 06:55 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Don't forget about the radiator cap and air trapped in the coolant system. They've been a source of overheating problems also.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 08:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

Ok guys thanks for reply, car dont get hot as long as going down the road only stopping at red light , idole. replaced thermo. did not help, not loseing any water, I did lose that bleader thinng out of the thermo housing never could find it so i replaced with bolt with plumer tape , but ware r the relays 2 the fan on this 06 , r they in the fuse box under hood , and i see their r 2 beside the fan itself could this b them ? and also I have herd the fan running but it's like after it's 2 late . could it b the heat sending unit sending bad info ?
Old 26 Aug 2010, 09:25 am
Senior Cruiser

The fan has two speeds it sounds like your high speed may not be working. Let the PT idle with the AC on, you will know if you the fan goes to high speed because it isn't quiet. If your PT gets passed the half way mark and your fan isn't on high you most likely need a fan.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 26 Aug 2010, 09:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
The fan has two speeds it sounds like your high speed may not be working. Let the PT idle with the AC on, you will know if you the fan goes to high speed because it isn't quiet. If your PT gets passed the half way mark and your fan isn't on high you most likely need a fan.
Thanks Dino,the bleeder i lost , is this ware 2 bleed the air out ? in the thermo housing. I dont have a book on this car so thanks for help, but ware r the relays ?
Old 26 Aug 2010, 10:35 am
Senior Cruiser

You may want to run to the Chrysler dealer and pick up a bleeder, who knows if you made a good seal with the bolt and tape. As far as the relays I'm not sure, but the fan not the relays is usually the problem.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 27 Aug 2010, 10:59 am
Fresh Cruiser

I would like 2 thank dino and all the guys here for their help and support .. for others haveing over heating , CHECK THOSE WIRE PLUGS, All this trouble was a bad connection at the fan plug under rad. never could get that crazy thing apart , going 2 replace with new plug, now i have new question but i will make a new post for it ....Thanks...sam...
Old 27 Aug 2010, 06:46 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts View Post
I would like 2 thank dino and all the guys here for their help and support .. for others haveing over heating , CHECK THOSE WIRE PLUGS, All this trouble was a bad connection at the fan plug under rad. never could get that crazy thing apart , going 2 replace with new plug, now i have new question but i will make a new post for it ....Thanks...sam...

Nice fix