Advertisements
CEL code help??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2010, 03:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default CEL code help??

Hello,
Sorry to get right to the subject...

My girlfriends grandmother has a '05 pt cruiser, 2.4, non turbo. 70,514 miles.

on 8/24, she was taking off from a stop sign, and the car started lurching forward, and went into limp mode. She pulled off to the side of the road... turned the car off for about 5 minutes... tried to restart it and it took 6 tries to finally start. when started, the check engine light was on. She turned around, still in limp mode, drove it home (Less than a mile). I checked the codes with my code reader, It was P0340. Camshaft position sensor. I cleared the code, replaced the sensor.. test drove it for about 5 minutes... it did great.

Today, she drove 30 miles into another city. stopped, did her thing, when she was leaving she started the car, pulled out of the parking lot, to the stop light. When the light turned green, she pushed the gas and surprise surprise, Lurching forward in limp mode. Pulled off the road, shut it off, turned it back on... CEL light is back. she made it home. I scanned it. This time it has 3 codes. 2 of which are the same.
P0344- Camshaft position sensor
P0700- Transmission control system
P0344- Camshaft position sensor.

I have searched and searched these forums. I have found that it may be the wiring. I took the protective cover off the wiring and found nothing out of the ordinary.

What should I check next? I made an appointment at a local garage to have it diagnosed. But would much rather be able to save her some money on this repair if possible.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thank You.

Evan
Old 26 Aug 2010, 04:40 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: CEL code help??

The big question is did you use a factory OEM sensor, or aftermarket?

If you picked up an A/M sensor, you wasted your money and will need to get an OEM one. A/M sensors don't communicate with the PCM like they need to in order to function properly.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 06:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Many owners have come back to tell us they replaced the sensor with an after market (auto store) part and they have the same code. Replacing it with a genuine MOPAR part, although more expensive, usually cures the problem.

Also make sure you check the wiring all the way round the engine. My Camshaft sensor harness attachment broke off around the back of the engine and hung down to actually touch the spinning half shaft and burn up.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Aug 2010 at 06:49 am.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 08:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

After you replace the sensor with a OEM one, take the negative cable off for about 10 minutes, this resets the computer and erases the code. Not sure if resetting with your code reader will reset the computer.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 26 Aug 2010, 09:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

This was not OEM. I bought it at Kragen.
Are your suggestions to replace it with an OEM sensor before troubleshooting any other causes?
Old 26 Aug 2010, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes!!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 26 Aug 2010, 04:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The Mechanic at the garage we took it to get diagnosed said it was that the battery has low voltage...

Though, things don't run off the battery when the car is running. Any suggestions?
Old 26 Aug 2010, 04:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Change the battery and change the sensor.
Old 08 Sep 2010, 03:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Changed the battery, and the sensor... it was fine for 4 1/2 days and started lurching again..

We took it to the dealer, being they are certified and know what they are doing (Most of the time)... We took it in on Thursday, August 31st. It is still sitting at the dealer as I type.

The dealer diagnosed it needs a whole new wiring harness. It now has 70,746 miles... Warranty expired at 70K miles. Total cost, $1,788.55...

We said go ahead and order the part... they ordered it, said it was on back order for one week. We said ok.. asked for a loaner car and they refused. so, Off to Enterprise for a rental car. After hearing nothing back for almost a week, I called them to check up. They said that I had been misinformed, and the part was on back order until NOVEMBER 4TH!!.... and then would take upto 2 days to repair it.

Finally, we called Chrysler... They took down as much information as we could give them and said they would call back. Today, about 5PM they called back saying they would still honor the warranty and would cover upto 8 days for a rental car. As money is still going out for a rental car... We are happy they offered to honor the warranty.

Thank You Chrysler!
Come on November 4th!

Last edited by 05pt; 08 Sep 2010 at 03:28 am.
Old 08 Sep 2010, 05:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

A complete wiring harness sounds ridiculous, but at least they're covering it and springing for a rental...
What about the P0700 transmission code? That would worry me....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles