Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Autolite XP Iridium Plugs - Good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2010, 08:53 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Autolite XP Iridium Plugs - Good?

I originally installed some NGK V-Groove plugs recently, but I just don't seam to be getting as good of gas mileage as I was previously. I used to be able to get around 300 miles to my tank and now it seams that I'm only getting in the low to mid 200's.

I'm considering getting the Autolite XP Iridium plugs from Auto Zone. I was considering getting either platinum or double platinum, but found the Autolite Iridiums for not much more, plus there's a rebate. Just figured I'd check to see if anybody has used them.

Also, I read an article about fuel mileage and it was saying that when he increased his spark plug gap by 20%, he got better mileage. So, for me this would mean if instead of gapping the plugs at 0.040, I would gap them at 0.048. Has anybody done this? My NGK plugs are gapped at 0.040, but my old Champion plugs were around 0.060 - 0.070.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 09:08 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Autolite XP Iridium Plugs - Good?

I used the Denso Iridium power plugs gaped at .044 without a problem, in fact the PT runs great. And I seem to get on the high side of MPG of what the PT can offer which isn't great.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 27 Aug 2010, 02:48 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Autolite XP Iridium Plugs - Good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconut View Post
I originally installed some NGK V-Groove plugs recently, but I just don't seam to be getting as good of gas mileage as I was previously. I used to be able to get around 300 miles to my tank and now it seams that I'm only getting in the low to mid 200's.

I'm considering getting the Autolite XP Iridium plugs from Auto Zone. I was considering getting either platinum or double platinum, but found the Autolite Iridiums for not much more, plus there's a rebate. Just figured I'd check to see if anybody has used them.

Also, I read an article about fuel mileage and it was saying that when he increased his spark plug gap by 20%, he got better mileage. So, for me this would mean if instead of gapping the plugs at 0.040, I would gap them at 0.048. Has anybody done this? My NGK plugs are gapped at 0.040, but my old Champion plugs were around 0.060 - 0.070.
I use the Autolite Iridiums in both of my PTs and really like them. A lot. DO NOT gap them over .040! I have no clue what was going on with the larger gap for better fuel economy. That makes no sense at all. None. It would make the engine run worse. I run .038. My 04 with a 5 speed gets 24 to 26 around town, with AC on, but I am a miser driver.

I suggest using MSD wires, which are what I use. Do not change out the OEM coil unless it is physically damaged or otherwise bad. If you have to replace it, use another OEM coil. They are best.

Last edited by Matt42; 28 Aug 2010 at 12:10 pm.