Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help me please! P1684, P0117 & P0320

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26 Aug 2010, 11:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Smile Help me please! P1684, P0117 & P0320

Ok. So drove to knoxville tn this morning to try to get my liquor license... and my car blew up. I'm talking billows of white smoke coming out of the tailpipe. Car made a knocking sound and shut itself off... Sounded like an 18-wheeler... It has been acting up this past week and over-heating like crazy.. i just changed the oil and oil filter last night, and I tried to take the thermostat out because it wasn't working. I had the water pump and timing chain/(and/or??) belt replaced in march. cost me 650.00. Then in june i had the radiator fan assembly replaced because it was over heating yet again. Somebody please help cause i'm almost ready to just set the car on fire.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 11:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Help me please! P1684, P0117 & P0320

ohh... btw car is 2001 pt cruiser, touring edition and it has c.116,000 miles on it.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 01:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Bananabond, welcome to the forum.

P1684 = nothing to worry about.
P0117 = ECT Engine Coolant Temperature sensor too low
P0320 = No Crank Reference Signal at PCM

To tell you the truth, it doesn't sound good. Billows of white smoke out the tailpipe means liquid got into the combustion chamber. Probably a blown head gasket from one too many overheating periods.

Wife did that to a Dodge we had a long time ago. Thermostat quit (closed), car overheated and no idiot light, just a guage that read HOT, but the wife ignored it. Stopped at a gas station and the car was surrounded with the white smoke. She took my son and ran. Gas station attendant panicked but it stopped smoking after a few minutes. Warped the aluminum head of the dodge.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Aug 2010 at 01:55 pm.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 07:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the quick response... I'm not sure what's going on with it... i think it might be a blown head gasket.. and that's definitely not good... i need to figure out how to get it off the side of the highway. I just changed the oil last night... i thought that would help it a little bit. I guess not.. she's been acting funny all week. I love my cruiser but i don't think i can afford too much more of this..

ok. what is PCM? and what does that mean about the sensor? You may have to dumb it down a little for me. I'm not blonde, but I'm certainly not a mechanic.
Old 26 Aug 2010, 07:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It means that the PCM (computer) is not seeing a signal from the Crankshaft. As the crankshaft turns a sensor picks up the rotation and sends a reference signal to the computer to keep everything in sync.

The engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor measures the coolant temperature and also sends that signal back to the computer. My guess (blown head gasket) the water went into the combustion chambers thereby lowering the level of the coolant in the radiator so the coolant sensor saw no coolant to measure. Hence, the fault code P0117.

Worse yet, you need to have the aluminum head checked to see it warped (bent under extreme heat).

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 26 Aug 2010 at 07:38 pm.
Old 27 Aug 2010, 10:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

ok. so i got the car moved off the side of the highway this morning. had it towed.. tried to revive the battery... and the lights and everything came on but the car won't start. ohh... and i just checked my oil... i seem to be loising some kind of fluid underneath the car.. think it's oil. but it's not dripping profusely or anything.. i think it might be just because of what happened yesterday.. however, there is no water in my oil... and what do you mean by aluminum head?? I'm a 20 yr old female.. so any diagrams would be great.. I seem to have trouble locating the crankshaft sensor..

Last edited by bananabond; 27 Aug 2010 at 10:41 am.
Old 27 Aug 2010, 10:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

OK, the engine is made up of basically two big parts. The block and the head. In the PT Cruisers instance, the bock is made of iron and the head is made up of aluminum. Excessive heat can warp/bend the aluminum head and let the water into the combustion chambers. You not seeing water in the oil maybe because the water went right out the tail pipe, hence the billows of white smoke.

The Crankshaft position sensor is around the back of the engine right above the oil filter.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 31 Aug 2010 at 08:27 pm.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 08:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had the car towed to a mechanic in town to rt clapp. They quoted 5,800.00$ for the whole job. The engine is dead. The car needs a new one... So has anyone else had this same thing happen? Some friends tell me that i can find a used motor and have the whole thing done for 1,500.00$. I really would like some outside opinions or recommendations. Thanks!
Old 01 Sep 2010, 08:06 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabond View Post
I had the car towed to a mechanic in town to rt clapp. They quoted 5,800.00$ for the whole job. The engine is dead. The car needs a new one... So has anyone else had this same thing happen? Some friends tell me that i can find a used motor and have the whole thing done for 1,500.00$. I really would like some outside opinions or recommendations. Thanks!
IMHO $5800 is a VERY high price, for that much money you could find another PT. I would take it to a dealer for their estimate, at least you would know you were getting a correct diagnosis at IF the work was done there, you would have a warranty. What or who is rt clapp, is it a person or a dealer?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 02 Sep 2010, 01:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

R T Clapp is the auto-garage that did the estimate. Do you think that the risk would be too high if I bought a used engine? I'm a waitress and 5,800.00 really isn't in my price range.. so I guess for now I'm buying a bicycle.