Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
AC pop off valve ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Aug 2010, 11:30 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default AC pop off valve ?

Hey all, I have a dumb question Does or should the ac compressors pop off valve be going off often or hardley ever ? This thing sounds like a 18 wheller , and how low should this car idole ? it's a 2006 pt cruser non turbo, Thanks.....sam
Old 27 Aug 2010, 11:50 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: AC pop off valve ?

By pop-off valve I take you mean the high pressure release valve. It shouldn't go off at all if everything is working right. When it does go off, it usually means there's too much pressure in the system caused by excess heat. 9 times out of 10 it's because the fan isn't doing it's job, but there are other reasons also.

By the way, everytime that relief valve opens, it expels a little bit of R134a to relieve the pressure in the system. If yours is doing that all the time, your probably low in R134a by now and you shouldn't feel the ice cold air coming out of the vents like when the system is full.

I believe the normal idle without the A/C on is about 750-800 RPMs. If the A/C os ON, the PCM adjusts the idle up by means of the IAC another 100-200 RPM's to adjust for the power loss from the A/C.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 27 Aug 2010 at 11:57 am.
Old 27 Aug 2010, 12:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: AC pop off valve ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
By pop-off valve I take you mean the high pressure release valve. It shouldn't go off at all if everything is working right. When it does go off, it usually means there's too much pressure in the system caused by excess heat. 9 times out of 10 it's because the fan isn't doing it's job, but there are other reasons also.

By the way, everytime that relief valve opens, it expels a little bit of R134a to relieve the pressure in the system. If yours is doing that all the time, your probably low in R134a by now and you shouldn't feel the ice cold air coming out of the vents like when the system is full.

I believe the normal idle without the A/C on is about 750-800 RPMs. If the A/C os ON, the PCM adjusts the idle up by means of the IAC another 100-200 RPM's to adjust for the power loss from the A/C.
Thanks CREWZIN, I found a bad connection in the fan wire , going 2 replace with new connector and maybe this will help all the other stuff as well, I never would have thought this fan could cause so many other problems until i read alot on this forum ,LOL