Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
a/c problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Aug 2010, 06:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default a/c problem

my wife has a 2001 pt cruiser limited edition. We bought it like 4 months ago. It works great just there is one problem to it that wasnt there about a month ago. The a/c blows warm air. It takes like 5 to 10 minutes to make it cold, and the settings has to be on low blow or the 2nd air flow. It will just get warm on the top 2 air flow (high, max). The a/c sounds great, there isnt any leaks to it. does it just need a refill?
Old 27 Aug 2010, 07:23 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: a/c problem

Welcome to the Forum. Do a search for radiator fan motor and then check yours out. Let us know what you find out.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 27 Aug 2010, 07:41 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Pretty sure we covered this in another thread. The fan doesn't have anything to do with the temperature of the air coming out of the vents.

Check the system pressure, you may just need a recharge.
Old 28 Aug 2010, 12:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergtic69 View Post
my wife has a 2001 pt cruiser limited edition. We bought it like 4 months ago. It works great just there is one problem to it that wasnt there about a month ago. The a/c blows warm air. It takes like 5 to 10 minutes to make it cold, and the settings has to be on low blow or the 2nd air flow. It will just get warm on the top 2 air flow (high, max). The a/c sounds great, there isnt any leaks to it. does it just need a refill?
Welcome to the forum. A few questions and some blithering to help diagnose.
1. Your car is nine years old. Expect a few problems. At nine years, even a BMW or a Bentley will need some service here and there. I also have an 01 PT, so I know! It is normal for an AC system to 'ooze' a tiny bit of HCFC-134A refrigerant each year. It adds up. So maybe all it needs is a recharge, as you say.
2. How do you know the system isn't leaking?
3. Where are you? That information really helps. If you are in, say, a low elevation in Arizona, I would bet that the AC system has been serviced many times. But if you are in, say the upper peninsula of Michigan or in Leadville, Colorado, it might have only been used a few times each year. Long periods of non-use can cause seals to fail. And knowing where you are might put you in touch with a bored local list member with tools.
4. A sudden decrease in cooling efficiency indicates that it was recharged by the used car dealer to make it sell fast, and to hide the fact that there is a leak. Sad but true. 4 months seems about right for that. I paid about $100 for a good electronic HCFC leak detector, and it was worth every penny of it to find that the leak I had was solved by tightening a fitting. You may not be so lucky, but you really need to get the system leak tested.