Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
441 code question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29 Aug 2010, 09:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 441 code question

I have replaced gas cap and it did not fix this problem. What is the next logical thing to replace?
Should I replace the purge soliniod next? Or is there something more common to replace. I have gone though everything from one end to the other feeling for cracked hoses and or loose fittings. Everything appears to be in good shape. My light turns itself on and off every 3 or 4 weeks but it is on about 80 % of the time?

Thanks,
Steve

I have done searches but only come up with this cut and paste:

P0441 Evap Purge Flow Monitor -Insufficient or excessive vapor flow detected during evaporative emission system operation.

A Diagnostic Trouble Code indicates that the Powertrain Control Module has recognized an abnormal condition in the system. DTC's are the results of a system or circuit failure, but do not directly identify the failed component or components.

Possible causes for P0441 include:

Intermittent Condition
Checking Evap Purge Solenoid Functionality
Evap Purge Solenoid Vacuum Supply

You will need a DRB III scan tool and diagnostic manual to troubleshoot the issue.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 08:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 441 code question

Quote: You will need a DRB III scan tool and diagnostic manual to troubleshoot the issue. Unquote!!!

Looks like a trip to your dealer to me.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 30 Aug 2010, 07:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
Quote: You will need a DRB III scan tool and diagnostic manual to troubleshoot the issue. Unquote!!!

Looks like a trip to your dealer to me.

Has anyone ever gone to a dealer who has this tool and found out what it is? Looking for feedback from a few people saying "Yeah it was my?????" or maybe it is your ______ 9 out of 10 times.

Dealers around hear will charge way too much to figure out what it is and then replace the wrong part and tell you you need the next one down the line. Sad but very true. I will take my chances with a 9 out of 10 from this board.
thanks,
Steve

Last edited by troyfab; 30 Aug 2010 at 09:58 pm.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 11:00 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Your problem could also be the NVLD, which is located inside the fuel tank.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 07:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
Your problem could also be the NVLD, which is located inside the fuel tank.
Hey that looks like my PT. Patriot Blue?

Thanks for the reply. I will look into that also.

Anyone else had 1st had experience trouble shooting this though a dealer?

Thanks for the reply,
Steve
Old 01 Sep 2010, 02:31 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyfab View Post
Hey that looks like my PT. Patriot Blue?

Thanks for the reply. I will look into that also.

Anyone else had 1st had experience trouble shooting this though a dealer?

Thanks for the reply,
Steve
Deep water blue
Old 01 Sep 2010, 09:32 pm
Cool Cruiser

I had chronic P0441 for like a year. I swear that it was due to my leaky windshield washers which would occasionally come loose and spray WWF all over the ECM. It seemed to coincide within 24 hours of that happening.

There seemed to be no rhyme or reason to it.

I'm likely to jinx myself, but ever since I replaced the timing belt (last weekend) it hasn't come back. We never touched anything at all having to do with fuel, solenoids, the canister, purge valves or anything like that. I'm knocking on wood.
Old 03 Sep 2010, 05:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole369 View Post
I had chronic P0441 for like a year. I swear that it was due to my leaky windshield washers which would occasionally come loose and spray WWF all over the ECM. It seemed to coincide within 24 hours of that happening.

I'm likely to jinx myself, but ever since I replaced the timing belt (last weekend) it hasn't come back. We never touched anything at all having to do with fuel, solenoids, the canister, purge valves or anything like that. I'm knocking on wood.

chronic P0441 : That is a good way to describe this. I am going on 4 years with this problem. I have someone turn off the light the day before inspection and it passes. I think they up graded the equipment that they test with and they can tell if you do this now, that is why I am try to fix my "Chronic PO441". Otherwise I would just leave it, once I got the wife used to the light turning on and off it really is not a problem.
Old 03 Sep 2010, 07:28 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by troyfab View Post
chronic P0441 : I have someone turn off the light the day before inspection and it passes.
You don't have to have someone else turn off the light for you. Just disconnect the negative battery cable for about 10 minutes. That will clear the memory of the computer and nobody should be able to tell what codes used to be there.
Old 03 Sep 2010, 04:54 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdole369 View Post

Whaddayaknow - washed the windshield this morning and bam - P0441 while on the freeway 10 minutes later. I'm gonna fix the squirters once and for all.