Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cheap and Easy mods?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30 Aug 2010, 01:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cheap and Easy mods?

I have just joined this forum. I was wondering if there are any good suggestions for some ultra cheap DIY mods that can be done. I have already cut the yellow and green wire on for the tranny shift and put a resistor in the intake sensor. I am looking for a bit more performance, as in a home made air box replacement or cutting the muffler off. I have no worries about cutting on the car as long as it is reversible. My PT is a 2002 with 150,000 on it and second engine. My poor ol' PT has been used as a parts hauler from the junk yard for parts for my 31 ford, and even been an equipment hauler for my band. She has seen some of the hardest miles. I just want to do some things to make the car fun again. Thanks for any and all help.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 01:17 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Cheap and Easy mods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCreeoy View Post
I have just joined this forum. I was wondering if there are any good suggestions for some ultra cheap DIY mods that can be done. I have already cut the yellow and green wire on for the tranny shift and put a resistor in the intake sensor. I am looking for a bit more performance, as in a home made air box replacement or cutting the muffler off. I have no worries about cutting on the car as long as it is reversible. My PT is a 2002 with 150,000 on it and second engine. My poor ol' PT has been used as a parts hauler from the junk yard for parts for my 31 ford, and even been an equipment hauler for my band. She has seen some of the hardest miles. I just want to do some things to make the car fun again. Thanks for any and all help.
Over at the ptcrew.com they have some instructions to mod your air box. What did the resistor do or cutting the wire?

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 30 Aug 2010, 02:37 pm
Banned

These were probably the first two performance mods done to our PTs. The resistor that was spliced into the AIT was to fool the PCM into thinking the air entering the engine was cooler than it really was. That translates into the PCM giving "a little" more fuel to the engine throughout the rpm range and not pulling so much timing at high rpm. Remember that this is for the 2001 and 2002 only at the point these mods were done. Our PTs didn't run pig rich at that point because the turbos didn't exist yet. The turbos from the factory run rich to avoid "leaning out" and going boom.

As far as cutting the tranny wire (wires) I was under the impression it was only one wire and it was the blue one. I didn't pay that much attention to it back then because my PT is a 2004, so I could be wrong on that. I do know the end product that you were trying achieve by doing it was to get rid of the hesitation or "burp" that slowed down the transition between gears. It resulted in a firmer, quicker shift between gears. If i remember correctly, this was a "mod mike" or "mx-5" mod.

Jerry
Old 30 Aug 2010, 02:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Jerry, your exactly right except the the ONE wire was green with a yellow stripe on it. Any other wire(s) cut are wrong. As far as the resister in the AIT, it's ok if you don't care anything about your fuel mileage, because the computer thinks there's cooler air coming in ALL THE TIME so extra fuel is being added even at idle. Rough guess would be a drop in fuel mileage of 3 to 5 MPG.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 02:57 pm
Banned

Yep, that's why I said "a little fuel throughout the rpm range".

I still don't remember, was it "mod mike" or "mx-5" that did the tranny wire first?

Jerry
Old 30 Aug 2010, 04:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

MX-5 was the one on here.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 30 Aug 2010, 05:19 pm
Banned

Yep, knew that already, but both of them were responsible for a few "firsts" during the early years of the PT. I just can't remember which one did the "tranny mod" first. They are both great ennovators and have loads of mechanical "common sense". Something that has always came hard for me! So many things have went over my head during my lifetime, that all of my hair went with them.

Jerry
Old 30 Aug 2010, 05:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I did mine following MX-5's Burp Free Mod instructions lots of years ago.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 05:54 pm
Banned

Ahhh! Now that you phrase it that way "MX-5's BURP-FREE mod" it all comes flooding back. That's the one!

Thanks Cary.

Jerry
Old 30 Aug 2010, 09:58 pm
Cool Cruiser

ohh the old times,