PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Interference engine total crap!!!What to do?

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Aug 2010, 12:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Angry Interference engine total crap!!!What to do?

My timing belt broke while turning a corner. I have taken the 2002 crysler pt cruiser ltd edition 2.4 litre, 4 cylinder to the mechanic. I was shown that there was no compression!!!! I told the mechanic that you are not going to get compression without installing a new belt. He said that in the 02 model of the pt cruiser has an interference engine( Great ). He said that forsure there is damage to the valves due to the timing belt breaking while the motor was running. He has told me that I have two options. 1 change the motor or 2 change the belt and take the risk of wasting money for a new timing belt and labour to install new timing belt and find out that there is internal damage done to the engine and have to replace the engine anyway. I have read some threads stating that it is a possibility that there is no damage done internally? If any one has some advice on what to do would be greatly appricated. I bought the pt with 142 000 kms on the motor and assumed the timing belt had been changed. Belt broke at 146 000. The car is sitting in the drive way and dont know what to do. The quote for changing the engine is 2200.00 plus taxes including used engine.

Last edited by CrazyCanadianA; 01 Sep 2010 at 01:52 pm.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 12:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Interference engine total crap!!!What to do?

Welcome to the forum.

First STAY AWAY FROM THAT MECHANIC. Find yourself a trusted one somewhere else.

There's NO WAY of telling the compression until the belt is back on.

Now, a non-interference engine doesn't mean there can't be any damage. The valves can hit each other when everything is turning freely when the belt breaks but it only happen once in awhile. 9 out of 10 owners that have come to us for advice don't have internal engine damage. If it was an interference engine and the belt broke, you would surely have expensive internal damage because the valves can hit the top of the pistons. On the PT Cruiser 2.4 ltr. they can't hit.

So, as I said, find a trusted mechanic, hopefully one that has experience with the PT engine. It takes from 5 to 7 hours of labor to change the belt and we recommend changing the water pump also since the same amount of labor is needed for the pump as the belt and the pump does wear out.
chigger_ns likes this.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 01:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to kingofyo1 Send a message via MSN to kingofyo1 Send a message via Yahoo to kingofyo1 Send a message via Skype™ to kingofyo1

^x2 stay the hell away from that guy.. all you need is (probably) a new t-belt, and as crewzin said, a new water pump while you're there. 7 hours labor is the standard to do this kind of maintenance, so expect anywhere from 800-1200 depending on cost of parts, and cost per hour of labor. mine cost 995 but now it runs like a champ. we have non interference motors by the way, so dont let him screw you like that.
chigger_ns and Vlefaive like this.
Old 01 Sep 2010, 05:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

^^^ X 3
IF the valves collided, then you need valve work, not a new engine. The head can be taken off while doing the belt, and valves replaced.
The mechanic is either an idiot or a thief (possibly both).
chigger_ns likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 01 Sep 2010, 11:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

xxx4 ( is there a pattern here???)

Replace the belt,
a lot of mechacins dont like the amount of work involved and it is a pain but hey it is a job
someware around the $1200 mark is what it should be $2200 is way over the top

like all said do the water pump as well adn put on a new serpintine belt you will also have to recharge the A/C
dtrott likes this.
Old 01 Sep 2010, 12:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

It is normal to have zero compression when there is no timing belt turning the engine?
Old 01 Sep 2010, 12:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCanadianA View Post
It is normal to have zero compression when there is no timing belt turning the engine?
I would think that's a crap shoot - one cylinder could have valves closed and have compression, another could be on intake stroke (no compression) - .... it would all depend on instant of when belt broke...
If you turn the starter now, pistons will go up & down, but valves don't move from position they were at when belt broke.
Old 01 Sep 2010, 01:37 pm
Fresh Cruiser

would you recommend to take a chance and purchase a new timing belt and install and see if it solves the problem or put a used engine in the pt. thanks
Old 01 Sep 2010, 01:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well a timing belt is most likely way cheaper and if you get a used engin I would put a new timing belt a new water pump on it and yes that would be way cheaper since it is out its still a added expense
Old 17 Sep 2010, 08:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Lightbulb Re: Interference engine total crap!!!What to do?

Mine broke while idling at a stop light (134,000 miles at the time). Luckily I had no damage but later learned I overpaid to have it done. Figuring the dealership is ALWAYS more expensive, I opted for Meineke. Meineke charged me $1200 while the dealer would have been only $985 (give or take a few). Damn you, Evil Meineke!!!!