Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Gearbox noise??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Aug 2010, 04:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Gearbox noise??

Hi! This is my first post... I bought my first PT Cruiser (manual transmission) yesterday and I've just realized that has a rattling noise (not so strong) when driving. I was in the dealer and he told me that could be the gearbox. Im worried as he said it will be an expensive bill if they start to investigate. The service was maintained according to the manual but the car already has 144k miles on the clock!!!!
The noise disappears when you press the clutch or without any gear...
Does anybody have any recommendation or previous problem with that?

Thank you so much!!!
Old 31 Aug 2010, 05:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Gearbox noise??

It's been a long time since I messed with a standard transmission but I think I remembers that one of the things that made noise and would go away with the clutch is the throwout bearing. Everythings got to come out to get to it. First thing that goes in is the last to come out.
Old 31 Aug 2010, 09:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
It's been a long time since I messed with a standard transmission but I think I remembers that one of the things that made noise and would go away with the clutch is the throwout bearing. Everythings got to come out to get to it. First thing that goes in is the last to come out.
I think it's the other way `round. The throwout bearing only makes noise when it is in use, when the driver is pushing on the clutch pedal.

But in some feeble attempt at answering siscor's question, one of the first things I would do is a drain and refill of the transmission oil. That's not routinely done at oil changes. With a manual transmission, it is almost never done. My next thought is that a rattling noise that goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed is that something is loose on the clutch fork assembly. There should be a master cylinder, sort of like on a brake, but for the clutch hydraulic system. Follow the tubing down to the transmission and shake the metal thingy that goes into the transmission. It should be surrounded by a rubber boot. At 144K miles, with lots of shifts, the rubber boot may be kind of ratty. If it rattles when you shake it, you have probably found the problem. It may not a problem at all, except a sort of a warning that you may be needing a new clutch sometime in the future. It could also be the shift linkage, which is a cable sort of assembly. When you hear it rattle, lightly push the shift ball to one side or the other to see what happens. I have had cars that did that as a matter of course. Drove me batty until I discovered it was normal. (But I remained batty, finding that I liked being that way.)

I have a few questions:
1. Does it make more noise in one gear than another?
2. Does it make noise when coasting in neutral, foot off of the clutch?
3. Does it clash when shifting?
4. Where are you? Sometimes a nearby list member can help.
Old 02 Sep 2010, 05:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt42 View Post
I have a few questions:
1. Does it make more noise in one gear than another?
2. Does it make noise when coasting in neutral, foot off of the clutch?
3. Does it clash when shifting?
4. Where are you? Sometimes a nearby list member can help.
1. In any gear
2. Not in neutral or when I press the clutch
3. No, shifting without any noise
4. I live in UK, near the London Gatwick Airport.
Old 02 Sep 2010, 10:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

4. I live in UK, near the London Gatwick Airport.[/QUOTE]

OK im thinking this is not relaly all that close
Old 02 Sep 2010, 10:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My 2001 MT (88,000 miles) has a sorta 'notchy' 5-spd. I'm sure the previous owner damaged the synchros. Nothing major, just an irritant, and I'm sure the trans has never been flushed and gear lube replaced. I know that some Chrysler products are V-E-R-Y touchy about gear lube, so is there a specific MT trans oil, or can I replace it with Red Line (which has done wonders in the Subaru world)?
Old 03 Sep 2010, 02:24 am
Fresh Cruiser

I was thinking on doing a transmission fluid change, even it was done less than 44k miles ago. I read it needs a good ATF4, is that correct? Can be use "Red line" instead? Thanks!