Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Sep 2010, 09:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question Overheating

So my husbands cruiser is over heating... we had it looked at and they said we needed a new timing belt and water pump, and possibly a new radiator (I would have asked about the radiator but since my husband is not a car guy he didn't think to ask questions.) Anyways... way too expensive to have the dealer fix it, so my brothers did... we bought a book they read and followed everything precisely put in the new timing belt and water pump and replaced two other belts. Flushed the radiator and put all new fluids in.

But the damn thing over heated before it even got to the end of the road. We're all confused as to what the problem is... any ideas?
Old 01 Sep 2010, 03:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating

Welcome to the forum.

PLEASE use the search tool on the top of the forum for "overheating". Everyone thinks their problem is unique but there's only a few different things that can go wrong and make the PT overheat. In your search you'll find us asking the same questions over and over again to pinpoint the overheating problem. Most likely it's the fan but if you bought the car used and don't know the history of how the first or second owner treated the PT then it's best to change all the problematic parts that could cause your problem.

A list goes like this.

Radiator fan not working on both high and low speed
Radiator cap bad
Radiator is clogged/blocked from using the wrong fluid
Thermostat bad
Trapped air in the cooling system

If your loosing coolant, check for leaks or do a compression check to see if you have a cracked head gasket or cracked head itself.
Old 01 Sep 2010, 04:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Welcome to the forum.

PLEASE use the search tool on the top of the forum for "overheating". Everyone thinks their problem is unique but there's only a few different things that can go wrong and make the PT overheat. In your search you'll find us asking the same questions over and over again to pinpoint the overheating problem. Most likely it's the fan but if you bought the car used and don't know the history of how the first or second owner treated the PT then it's best to change all the problematic parts that could cause your problem.

A list goes like this.

Radiator fan not working on both high and low speed
Radiator cap bad
Radiator is clogged/blocked from using the wrong fluid
Thermostat bad
Trapped air in the cooling system

If your loosing coolant, check for leaks or do a compression check to see if you have a cracked head gasket or cracked head itself.
One more: Thermostat installed upside down.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 01 Sep 2010, 06:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

We've changed a bunch of things

the thermostat
the coolant temperature sensor
the sensors for the fan (even though it is running)

We triple checked the fluid to make sure we bought the right stuff.

The radiator shouldn't be clogged since it did get flushed when they did the water pump and timing belt.

I suppose I could just go buy a new radiator cap and see what happens.

There definately aren't any leaks... we've checked many times. They have done a check for a blown head gasket, I don't know about a cracked head. I guess I'll be calling my brother again and see if he's looked at that.

I really just need this dang thing to last until my husband deploys in March then it can sit rust for all I care.
Old 01 Sep 2010, 07:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You still need to find out if the fan is switching to the high speed. Low speed won't keep it cool enough to stop it from overheating, and how about making sure there's no air trapped in the cooling system. There's a bleed valve just under the thermostat housing.
Old 01 Sep 2010, 08:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I will pass that onto my brother about bleed valve... he says the fan is coming on.

Chris and I are both at our wits end about this. I'm thinking if this doens't do it than I will just have to take it back to the repair shop and see what they say.

Tags
overheating