Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
03 GT AC issue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Sep 2010, 09:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 03 GT AC issue

Well, I've read a lot of posts about AC problems but none sound much like mine. A couple of weeks ago, my AC went out. The refrigerant was low so the compressor was kicking on and off. i found the leak in the low pressure hose and took it in for replacement. They fixed it, but found that the compressor was also leaking. I love So Cal weather but the dry air really messes with hoses and seals.

Anyway, got the compressor fixed and the air is pretty cool but not cold. Refrigerant pressure seems fine and all the HVAC controls are working. The notorious radiator fan (variable speed on my turbo) is just fine. I just wonder why the AC isn't colder. Even the AC shop guys are puzzled. Any leads would be welcomed!
Old 03 Sep 2010, 12:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: 03 GT AC issue

If it's very hot since you worked on your A/C--close to 100 degrees--your cold air coming from the vents is not going to be all that cold (maybe no more than 60 degrees). How hot is it where you live? Here in Redding, it has been over 100 for several days--and the A/C just can't pump 45 degrees from the vents ....

Tim
Old 03 Sep 2010, 02:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

That's a possibility, Tim. We're approaching 100 in the afternoons when I've been running the AC. I just keep reading other posts where people rave about getting their PT AC ice cold. Mine seems even less cold now than before I had the leak but that could just be me being hyper-focused on it now. It certainly isn't an objective measurement.
Old 03 Sep 2010, 03:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Freak,

I haven't been watching the weather reports in your area, so I didn't know how hot it was getting. Actually, if you aren't going over a hundred degrees, your A/C should be blowing comfortably. Have you checked your condensor for bugs, debris, etc.? Who knows, maybe a piece of plastic got stuck on the thing. Stranger things happen. You don't have a bug screen do you? And does the air get colder while driving out on the freeway?

Tim
Old 03 Sep 2010, 03:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No bugs, no debris, no bug screen. The air temp is fairly consistent no matter what my RPMs, at least until the interior cools a bit and it's set to recycle interior air. Then it gets cooler, as you might imagine.
Old 04 Sep 2010, 10:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Freak, before they replaced most of my A/C system, around 40,000 miles (if I remember correctly), there was a noticeable odor of mold coming from the vents. Many posters on this forum have complained of the same thing. Anyway, after getting the system re-made, the dead-body odor disappeared. I can only assume that the a/c guys sprayed that fungus killer stuff into the air passages when they replaced everything. Ever since the new system, I never used the "recycle" option--and always keep the outside air coming through the "evaporator". I just don't want too much moisture left around the evaporator for new mold to grow.

To be honest, it sounds like you're still low on R-134A, cause you should be able to temp your vent air between 30 and 50 degrees F--unless, of course, you're pushing 100 degrees outside, like I mentioned before (use a thermometer to see for certain). Do you get any water puddles on the garage floor after running your A/C without using the "recycle" option, that is?

I begin to wonder if your A/C mechanic messed up somewhere along the line. When mine was re-done, the air was very cold. And it was pushing 100 degrees F on the day I picked it up. Have him temp the vents--and report back to you the numbers. Better still, you temp the vents. And if the air is too hot, tell the guy to fix your system properly.

Tim