Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Won't crank sometimes!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Sep 2010, 10:25 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Won't crank sometimes!

My gf's got a 2001 pt cruiser auto.140k miles. Every now and then it refuses to crank for a while then miraculously the problem goes away till it happens again ofcorse. It makes one click when you turn the key. Off and on, off and on, just makes one click.Instead of a whole lot like when the battery's dead. The battery is good. I thought it was the starter and replaced it but nope it happened again. Checked all the wires,fuses,ect. and they seem to be fine.Someone please tell me wth is going on with this pos thx.lol

p.s. I'd like to find the A hole who put the starter in the front where its almost impossible to get to and shoot them repeatedly.lol
Old 03 Sep 2010, 05:05 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Won't crank sometimes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodF763 View Post
My gf's got a 2001 pt cruiser auto.140k miles. Every now and then it refuses to crank for a while then miraculously the problem goes away till it happens again ofcorse. It makes one click when you turn the key. Off and on, off and on, just makes one click.Instead of a whole lot like when the battery's dead. The battery is good. I thought it was the starter and replaced it but nope it happened again. Checked all the wires,fuses,ect. and they seem to be fine.Someone please tell me wth is going on with this pos thx.lol

p.s. I'd like to find the A hole who put the starter in the front where its almost impossible to get to and shoot them repeatedly.lol

Wait till the alternator goes, or the timing belt. At least the sparkplugs are on top, and you only have to pull off the plenum.

Is the flywheel somehow siezed on somthing? I know on thirdgens there was a heat issue where the starter solenoid couldn't engage the flywheel teeth cuz of thermal expansion but never heard of that on PTs. Just chucking ideas out, I've yet to experience a starter change - knock on wood.
Old 06 Sep 2010, 01:02 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Also I can tell you its not the safty park/neutral switch on the shifter and there are no error codes to be displayed. Could this be a computer problem?

Last edited by RodF763; 06 Sep 2010 at 01:05 pm.
Old 06 Sep 2010, 03:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

When was the last time you took off th air cleaner and checked the battery cables? Sounds like a bad connection and built-up crud on the cable ends would do it.
Old 07 Sep 2010, 10:17 am
Obsessed Cruiser

My hunch is the ignition switch. Have a keychain with a lot of junk hanging off it? That causes switch to die....
Try pushing in when turning key....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Sep 2010, 02:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Those are all good guesses. I checked the ignition switch and I'm getting a signal.Yes the cables have been cleaned.The guy who worked on it before me rigged a few things like the fan which is also not working at the moment.lol.I just jumped the solenoid and it cranked then went back and it started with the key.I'm starting to think I got a bad starter which sucks because a starter should take 30 mins and this one takes a lot longer.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 07 Sep 2010 at 03:09 pm.
Old 08 Sep 2010, 09:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I had the exact same problem. not to worry though I think its the power cable from the battery to the starter. Yes it will show voltage and yes your cables are clean.... However I took that cable and measured the resistance of it and it measured around 68ohms (should be close to 0) just replace that wire and i would imagine you would be good to go. Hope htis helps.
Old 09 Sep 2010, 06:27 am
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadzki View Post
I had the exact same problem. not to worry though I think its the power cable from the battery to the starter. Yes it will show voltage and yes your cables are clean.... However I took that cable and measured the resistance of it and it measured around 68ohms (should be close to 0) just replace that wire and i would imagine you would be good to go. Hope htis helps.
this! i had the same issue. take off the cables and clean them. also if u can replace the factory wiring kit at some point in time. i just replaced the positive battery cable and no issues.
Old 09 Sep 2010, 12:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Wow,okay the wires going bad.Friggen crazy! And check this out after I did all that and put it all back together the radiator fan took a shit!.lol. OMFG. I told my woman to get full coverage and we'll leave in Detroit somewhere and never see it again.lol Thanks for all your input guys