Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Low compression test with only 93K miles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Sep 2010, 03:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Low compression test with only 93K miles

I have a 2003 2.4L that has 93000 miles.It won't start. I just did the compression test on the cylinders and it gave me 60 on cylinder one and 30 on cylinder 4. Book says it should be between 175 and 225 with no more that 25% variation between. Why would i get such a low reading when the engine only having 93K miles. The timing cover was taken off and I checked the belt and the timing marks are right on when checked.
Old 03 Sep 2010, 04:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Low compression test with only 93K miles

wow thats just not right 30 is almost nothing at all what did you get on the other 2 cylenders?????? you would almost have to have a burnt valvue or a stuck ring or both did the car run really rough before????? it would have had to have a big time miss if it was running on 2 cyls
Old 03 Sep 2010, 04:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I haven't taken out the intake to gain access to the other 2 cylinders. I bought the car from an individual who really didn't know why it wouldn't start for a thousand with a worse case scenario in mind to swap out the engine. The body and interior are in mint condition so i figured if i had to drop another engine in it I would cause it would still come out to only a total 2 grand investment. So I'm going down the list of checking stuff to see what could possibly be wrong with it. The timing belt and marks have been checked out and are accurate and in good condition. I'm still thinking worse case scenario but before that I would like to consider if the head might be warped and maybe that's why i'm getting bad compression readings. Tomorrow i'm going to pour a little heavy oil into the cylinders and see if the compression goes up. If it does i'm guessing the compression rings are out if it maintains the same compression i'm contemplating if the head might be warped.
Old 03 Sep 2010, 05:00 pm
Cool Cruiser

Pull the head, check the valves, gotta be that or rings/neglect.

Is it conceivable that the timing belt broke and the person changed it only to find that valves hit each other and didn't want to do the head work? 93k is exactly where a lot of these cars break the timing belt.
Old 03 Sep 2010, 05:18 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I don't think it's conceivable that he replaced the belt. The belt looks old and grungy. I was the one who removed everything to get access to the timing belt, it looks like it needs replacing but for the moment that couldn't be the cause of the low compression since even though it needs replacing it's tight and the timing marks all match up when i turned the crank, every time i turned the crank to set up tdc for 1 cylinder the timing marks matched up.
Old 04 Sep 2010, 07:58 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckybadazzboy View Post
I don't think it's conceivable that he replaced the belt. The belt looks old and grungy. I was the one who removed everything to get access to the timing belt, it looks like it needs replacing but for the moment that couldn't be the cause of the low compression since even though it needs replacing it's tight and the timing marks all match up when i turned the crank, every time i turned the crank to set up tdc for 1 cylinder the timing marks matched up.
OK good. I don't think I've heard of very many valve issues on these boards, but you never know. Heavy oil trick will tell you if the rings are good. If the previous owner overheated the fudge out of it the head will warp/crack.
Old 07 Sep 2010, 10:29 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Unlikely head warped and you don't have oil in coolant or coolant in oil....-I am assuming you checked that?
I have not read of any ring issues - a few valve issues....
Can you trust the complession tester? Have you tried it on another (known good) engine?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Sep 2010, 10:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

I thought it was a possibility so I tested the compression tester meter on another car with the same 2.4L engine gave me 225 and above on cylinder 1 and 4. so it could not be the tester.