PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

2001 coolant loss mystery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Sep 2010, 11:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Question 2001 coolant loss mystery

Hi All..........I'm new here , but I have a problem that I hope somebody here can help me out with.......I'll try to be breif , but it's a long complicated situation.
About 2 months ago I bought my first Cruiser from a dealer where I live.
It's a 2001 Limited Edition..........I took it for a test drive & was very impressed by it............I got a 30 day warranty with it.........after about 2 weeks driving it I heard a weird gurgling sound coming from the coolant expansion tank after driving on the Interstate for about 1/2 hour & then shutting it off..........after it cooled off , I opened the radiator cap & it was down about 2 inches on coolant........I checked the oil , coolant level & other fluids before I bought it & they were ALL at the full level........after the gurgling incident , I checked the oil for bubbles & color change.....no problems there.........I started it & thee was no white exhaust........I took it back to the dealer 3 times ......their mechanic changed the radiator cap , bled the system , did a compression check , did a combustion gas check, a pressurised coolant system check & tested the fans...........ALL these tests showed that there was NOTHING wrong & he had no idea what was going on with it.......BTW , the temp guage never went any higher than the halfway point..........there is no coolant on the ground & neither the mechanic nor I can see any inside the engine compartment & yet it's losing about a quart a month.......The car rides nice & has lots of pep.......I'm baffled.........ANY ideas???........I really like this Cruiser & want to keep it , but not if it's going through more coolant than gasoline.
TIA
Old 04 Sep 2010, 01:53 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 coolant loss mystery

I had a similar problem about 3 years ago. Losing coolant and no visible leaks. My problem was the radiator cap housing that also sits over the thermostat. It is a plastic or possibly composite housing. The part that covers the thermostat had a slight warpage on the bottom surface. Solution: remove housing and flatten the bottom surface using a medium sandpaper (280 grit) on a smooth level table or other type of surface. I used a granite surface plate since I am a machinist. This fixed the leak on my 2001 Limited. From what I could tell the coolant leak was small enough that it would dry in the area below the thermostat housing before ever dripping on the lower part of the engine or on the ground. This leak drove me nuts for about a year. It would also hold pressure. I hope this helps.
Old 04 Sep 2010, 05:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: 2001 coolant loss mystery

.........Yes,this helps & thank you for your insightful reply....I'll try to find something that flat & smooth & give your suggestion a try............I don't have much hair left ,so I sure hope this corrects the problem.
THANKS AGAIN !!
Old 04 Sep 2010, 10:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation Re: 2001 coolant loss mystery

i am having the same problem with the 2003 I have.

that reservoir is on the firewall behind the dash on mine and the gurgling is the pressure relief from the radiator cap pushing coolant down the hose to the overflow. mine has a 16 lb cap, but i have seen 18 lb caps offered online too. it would be a guess that if you use a 50/50 mix that at that temperature level some water evaporates from the overflow and over time you lose it.

I am surprised you aren't overheating, that is, the guage is going to red and the light is on and alarm is blaring, like mine is doing.

as you know from my posts mine may be the head gasket.

from the many posts of overheating, this car (PT's - or PTOS's as I call them) sounds like a lemon. I am surprised there is not a class action suit.
Old 05 Sep 2010, 07:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

In my experience with cars , I've found that they ALL have problems from time to time...........I'm sure all PT Cruisers are not lemons & am sure that some ARE..........A few years back , I bought a NEW S10 pickup..........after 13 trips to the shop , GM declared it a lemon & I was given the choice of a refund or another GM vehicle.
I feel certain that in one way or another , my car problems , as well as yours will be resolved..........consider yourself lucky that your seller is going to pay for yours.
Old 05 Sep 2010, 08:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Zip: Is the coolant overflowing out of the "overflow" tank? A partly clogged radiator can cause this. It happened with my 2001. Over the space of a month, about 2 quarts gurgled out and had to be put back in. The previous owned had used Dex-Cool instead of the correct coolant. Dex-Cool will clog a PT Cruiser radiator over time.
Old 06 Sep 2010, 06:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

No , ,,,,,,,,,,what I find weird is that the level in the overflow tank only changes just slightly & the fact that the temp. guage hovers around the center.............I wouldn't be a bit surprised as to what the previous owner had put in it.............it has the "cheap" green stuff in it now.
I plan to have it flushed & tested by somebody else not connected with the dealer.
Old 06 Sep 2010, 10:06 am
Cool Cruiser

Could be a small water pump leak. I found my coolant would be good for weeks and then just empty. I changed the water pump after seeing it leak and now all is well.
Eibach Pro Springs, Energy Suspension HyperFlex Master Kit bushings, PT Dream wheels, K&N drop in air filter, Exide Orbital Purple Haze 34XCD battery, KYB GR2 shocks and struts, Booger standard shifter bushings, Ooogah horn.
Old 07 Sep 2010, 11:12 am
Fresh Cruiser

I'm seeing , without taking it apart , a white powdery residue at the base of "plastic" piece that has the radiator cap & thermostat housing.
Old 07 Sep 2010, 05:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Get some of that flourescent dye for coolant leaks. Put some in (it's about 2 ounces). Then shine a black light all over and under everywhere. It'll show you what's up.

Tim