Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cooling fan relay ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Sep 2010, 07:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cooling fan relay ?

hey all, 2006 pt non turbo, I have 2 relays on radd. faceing car they would be on left side are they both for fan, low & hi ? if so should they be the same and have the same numbers on them both . mine does. PLEASE help,...I put volt meter 2 wires going 2 fan at the plug at time fan should be running but no voltage, temp gauge was over half way mark at time of check , thanks for any help.
Old 05 Sep 2010, 07:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Cooling fan relay ?

In the older models there were two relays, high and low but there was a slight difference between the two. They couldn't be swapped around. I'm pretty sure the two relays yo are looking at are the high and low for the fan even though they are the same.

It's hard to understand what exactly you said but sounds like you had no voltage on one of the relays that was going to the fan and your temp was over half way. Fan wasn't running. Before you go and change the relay (that seldom go bad) both the PCM (computer) and the fan itself could be the blame for non-operation. 9 out of 10 times, it's a burnt out fan motor either on the low or high side.

You said you checked one relay and had no voltage. Did you check the other relay? Only one relay should have voltage going through it at a time.
Old 05 Sep 2010, 08:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No I cheacked the wirers at the plug under the radiator. That goes up to the fan moter. I cheacked both wirers,to fan motor, no voltage. Should I go back and disconnect fan plug and wire direct 12 volt to test fan? Thanks for all your help.
Old 05 Sep 2010, 08:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That's what I did to find out the fan was burnt out, wire the fan directly to a 12V source.
Old 06 Sep 2010, 07:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
That's what I did to find out the fan was burnt out, wire the fan directly to a 12V source.
HEY CREWZIN, I replaced both those relays but that did not help, so i wired the fan straight to the battery and it ran good on hi and low side, i also checked a 50 amp relay in the fuse box that was labled rad.fan,it tested good, i checked all fuses & all are good, Could there be a temp sending unit for the fan and one that works the gauge inside ?...sam
Old 06 Sep 2010, 08:17 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes there's a temperature sending unit called the ECT right below the thermostat and near the bleed valve. Also the computer itself has a hand in running the fan.

Old 06 Sep 2010, 09:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thats strange, I Cant find that darn thing no where around the thermostat housing or any ware else that i can see. I have the air bleeder but no temp sending unit,but if the gauge inside is working dont the sending unit have 2 be ok ? I'm at my witts end
Old 06 Sep 2010, 09:31 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Well, since you have an 06 cruiser, Chrysler probably changed things like they did a couple others so it's either in a different place or they did away with it altogether.

Not sure what else I can tell you.
Old 07 Sep 2010, 09:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Yea I'm pretty sure it has one somewhere probley stuffed in under something like a easter egg, Guy at dealer wants 85 bucks plus tax just 2 plug in his computer, Oh Well, I've told people back in my younger day,...I dont get payed for what i do, I get payed for what I know Now It's comeing back to bite me in the but. But thanks for all your time and help, and I'll probley be back with more questions. But I will let you know what the problem was as soon as I find out...THANKS .......sam
Old 17 Jul 2013, 10:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

most parts stores will lend out tools like an OBDII diagnostics reader, I go to Advanced Auto all the time to borrow theirs and all they ask for is my license till I return it, I plug it in read and clear my codes right there in the parking lot.

the PT also has a self diagnostic to it's OBDIII computer, turn the key on and off cycle it 3 times leaving it on on the 3rd one but do not crank at all, it will run a diagnostics and spit out codes where the mileage is shown. they will be basic P-codes, you can look them up here Dodge - Chrysler - Jeep - Plymouth OBD-II Trouble Codes