Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bad starter??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Sep 2010, 12:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Bad starter??

Our best working PT decided not to start today. Battery has plenty of juice, but engine won't turn over. It sounds like the fly wheel is just spinning and it doesn't sound like the plugs are even firing. Could this be the starter or broken crankshaft?

Thanks.

Jeremy

Owner of Bessy, '02 Limited Steel Blue & Gidget, '02 Limited Blue Woody
Old 06 Sep 2010, 01:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bad starter??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmickies View Post
Our best working PT decided not to start today. Battery has plenty of juice, but engine won't turn over. It sounds like the fly wheel is just spinning and it doesn't sound like the plugs are even firing. Could this be the starter or broken crankshaft?

Thanks.

Jeremy
How many miles? Have you checked to see if the camshaft is turning?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 06 Sep 2010, 03:22 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I can't tell if it's the camshaft.. how would I check that? it's got about 120k on it.

Old 06 Sep 2010, 03:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

With 120K, we gotta ask ....have you changed the timing belt? If not, that's almost for sure your problem.

Can you turn a wrench? Do you know where the Camshaft sensor is? If so, take the sensor off and what's left is the end of one of the overhead cams. Watch it while someone else turns the ignition. If it doesn't turn, it's most likely the timing belt that's broken.
Old 06 Sep 2010, 04:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

yeah, I've replaced a few things on our cruisers; brakes, radiator fan, plugs, etc. I'm a little apprehensive about replacing the timing belt since all the workspace I've got is street parking. Good thing it's a quiet neighborhood street. I went back out and tried again to listen and it definitely sounds like nothing is turning in the engine. I also must have an oil leak somewhere 'cause I'm a quart low...hopefully NOT related.

Thanks.

Jeremy

Old 06 Sep 2010, 05:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Very possibly could almost be related as a few of us have found that the crankshaft seal tends to spring a leak with high mileage and the only way to get to it is the same way as the timing belt so it's an easy fix while doing the belt.
Old 06 Sep 2010, 06:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Double post.

So what would be the ball park cost for that?

Thanks
Jeremy

Old 06 Sep 2010, 07:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your talking about the timing belt right? From what we've seen on the forums, a whole lot depends on the hourly rate of the mechanic you find to do the job. The parts, what is recommended: timing belt, tensioner, water pump and the two drive belts, all come to around $150-200 but it's the 7 hours of labor to do all the work that adds up. We've heard anywhere from about $650 to around $1000.
Old 06 Sep 2010, 11:01 pm
Young Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to kingofyo1 Send a message via MSN to kingofyo1 Send a message via Yahoo to kingofyo1 Send a message via Skype™ to kingofyo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Your talking about the timing belt right? From what we've seen on the forums, a whole lot depends on the hourly rate of the mechanic you find to do the job. The parts, what is recommended: timing belt, tensioner, water pump and the two drive belts, all come to around $150-200 but it's the 7 hours of labor to do all the work that adds up. We've heard anywhere from about $650 to around $1000.
^x2. Mine was 955 post tax 7 hours work, but it drove like a champ after. I also had them replace my water pump instead of just the timing belt since it was just cost for the pump, not extra labor.