PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Plugs GAP!!!

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07 Sep 2010, 11:16 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Plugs GAP!!!

More than three months ago I changed the spark plugs for Autolite AP5263 gapped @0.43, this weekends I checked because the car was doing a awful MPG's and the gap was smaller that the one I set, 2 of them had 0.38 and other 0.4.

What can cause that? ...low quality material of plugs.

I regapped to 0.55 and the car is running smoother at lower REV's.

Thanks,
RedPT07
Old 07 Sep 2010, 11:25 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Plugs GAP!!!

You're missing a zero after decimal point -
The recommended gap is 0.040 not 0.4

Gap usually gets bigger with time....

And I hope you changed the ignition wires....
mityqwik likes this.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 07 Sep 2010, 11:43 am
Regular Cruiser

I know I was missing a zero....

The thing I want to know is with the GAP got smaller?

by the way wires are new, I installed when I replaced the stock plugs & wires by this ones.
Old 07 Sep 2010, 12:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There is no way the gap will get smaller unless you dropped them in the plug opening and bent them smaller OR you misread the tool when you checked the gap. You did check the gap before installing them right? Did you use wires other than stock wires as they will fail soon? Gapped at .055 the plugs will fail sooner as normally the electrodes will wear larger. That is one reason we suggest .040.
mityqwik and UptownSport like this.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 07 Sep 2010, 12:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Doesn't sound right. I did a pretty good search on "spark plug gap gets smaller over time" and nothing about it shows up except one that suggests that if the plug is tapped on something the gap will be smaller than recommended.

Could you possibly have tapped the plug(s) while installing them?
Old 07 Sep 2010, 12:54 pm
Regular Cruiser

I gapped when I install it @ 0.043 3 months ago....

Original Post

But I realize the car was doing worst MPG every week and when i checked the spark plugs were smaller gaps, the one I describe.

When I removed the Original Plugs at 56,000 miles the car was doing 18 mpg City & 26 mpg Hwy and the Gap was +/- 0.07, after I replaced the car got worst MPG's.

I read that 0.04 Gap is for worst condition (Cold weather), I live in Florida that was I tried 0.055 to check MPG's and power.

But the thing I dont understand is...

Why the plugs had smaller Gap???

Could be poor quality material of Plugs?
Old 07 Sep 2010, 01:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your asking the exact same question and the 3 of us who answered have never heard of plug gaps getting smaller on their own.

As far as the gap getting smaller because of poor material; unless the ground electrode is made from some foreign (read China) crap metal and so thin as too melt, I don't think that's the answer. Autolite's have been around awhile and I've seen or read no complaints about gap sizes mysteriously getting smaller.
Old 07 Sep 2010, 01:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I have had my autolites in for about 2 years now and am getting the same mileage as I did when new.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 07 Sep 2010, 05:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

I assume you used a wire gauge to measure the gap--and not a flat feeler gauge ....

Also, did you use the same wire gauge both times?

Tim
Old 07 Sep 2010, 05:29 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Although nobody on here seems to know what you're talking about, I do.

What kind of gas are you using? Pre-detonation in the cylinders caused by bad gas or low quality gas can cause the electrode to collapse.

Everyone else, this obviously is not a problem that occured when he installed the plugs, because the problem hasn't shown up until now. If he boo-booed installing the plugs, he would have had this problem three months ago.

Also, the recommended gap is between .048 and .053. .040 was in a TSB only for 2004 model years and only for conditions when the engine would idle rough. Having a gap of around .050 is fine and still within factory specs.

Last edited by heifetz17; 07 Sep 2010 at 05:31 pm.