pepboyes
local parts stores
advance auto,
how come its so hard to find???
anyone know where to get the zerex g05
Old 07 Sep 2010, 09:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: who carries HOAT antifreeze coolant in central nj

Try NAPA for the Zerex. You may have to ask at the counter. Try calling the Zerex distributor. Failing that (gasp) the Chrysler dealer will have it. They will be very proud of it, and price it accordingly. But after a while, you will stop wasting gas looking for it. And using it will save your radiator.

Also, I discovered there are two types of HOAT! There is a yellow version that is good for years through 2002. The purple or pink version is for 2003 and up. The dealer will have both, again, at a price.

Believe it or not, here in the Phoenix area, in a state that's only been a state since 1912, the dealer we go to has been a family business since 1927. So they take their responsibilities to their customers seriously. And those responsibilities seem to include not overcharging for stuff. Who'd'a thunk it?

Last edited by Matt42; 07 Sep 2010 at 09:49 pm. Reason: I am colour blind, I think. Pink = purple to me.
Old 07 Sep 2010, 11:30 pm
Senior Cruiser

I agree, i got mine at NAPA also. But i called and asked if they had it, the guy said "no, but we can order it just stop in and prepay" so i go in and told a different guy i needed to order it. After a few minutes of explaining what kind and why...he said "oh you can use dexcool, its the same thing" He then takes me to the back to prove it by showing me the label and guess whats on the shelf......4 gallons of the zerox! I picked up 2 gallons and left

So IF they say they dont have it, make sure to go in and confirm this yourself as they probably do have it instock or in my case they were to dumb or to lazy to really check it.

My rides: 2004 Almond GT, autostick - Only car shows, some weekends but with Stage1!
2003 cranberry 5 speed GT - Fishing with a sleeper Stage3 setup!

Her Ride: 2006 Electric Blue Touring, auto -Daily driver, car shows with tons of A/V!

Old 08 Sep 2010, 06:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Got mine at Napa also - there were 2 zerex - 5 & 3(?) - they looked it up and gave me the 5 (was a couple bucks cheaper per gallon).
'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Sep 2010, 10:17 am
Regular Cruiser

In South Jersey both NAPPA and Cown carry Zerex G-05 which as I understand it is exactly the same (HOAT) coolant as the more expensive and prettier stuff that Chrysler sells. I would avoid Dexcool though it has a much worse rep than it deserves due to some bad plastic gaskets GM used in some of their V-6's and never really took responsibility for.

The G-05 is really hard to see in the PT overflow. You can give the overflow a shake or add a little food coloring in your choice of colors to help you out. Some food color will turn in the heat and some won't. There are also commercial coloring agents that won't turn but you pay for them.

Last edited by Mal; 08 Sep 2010 at 10:20 am.
Old 24 Oct 2010, 09:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

In Philly Auto Zone has it as does WalMart. Also remember if you are being so competent to search for the correct and best anti-freeze,don't negate your efforts and mix with TAP water!! Use ONLY distilled water in your cooling system(mineral free). It's very cheap and available in food stores.
Read the best article I've read in recent history on coolants. Go to "MOTORMAGAZINE.COM" and read the article in the AUG,2010 edition. This mag/site is the best source of technical articles around.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 11:04 pm
Cool Cruiser

Waaaaaggghhh!

I thought that I was being a little over the top in my explanations of the differences between coolants and why people ought to seriously consider using the right HOAT coolant in their PTs. Then I read the article. Here's the link, by the way: MOTOR Magazine Article | MOTOR Information Systems

All things considered now, I think even more so that I have made the right decision.
--I get my PT Cruiser and Town & Country coolant from the Dodge-Chrysler dealer to prevent ruining a $400 radiator and maybe a $2500 engine.
--For many years, I have bought the coolant for my truck from the Cummins dealer to prevent ruining an $800 radiator and a $10,000 engine.

The cost of replacing a PT Cruiser water pump with bad seals ruined by DexCool more than outweighs the extra $10 for a gallon of HOAT from the dealer. Another 99 cents for a gallon of distilled water is also a good idea, as said above.
Old 25 Oct 2010, 11:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

Strange as it may seem, in my neck of the woods the the dealership actually had the lowest price on H.O.A.T about 14 bucks for the gallon.
NAPA and the rest were a good deal more expensive.

I agree with Matt42, buy the right thing and use it with confidence.
Don't pinch a penny now and spend a whole lotta dollars later.
Old 26 Oct 2010, 09:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
The G-05 is really hard to see in the PT overflow. You can give the overflow a shake or add a little food coloring in your choice of colors to help you out. Some food color will turn in the heat and some won't. There are also commercial coloring agents that won't turn but you pay for them.
I use a piece of wooden dowel I stick in the overflow tank to tell me the coolant level....