PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Transmission Relearn Process. How to Avoid it?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Sep 2010, 08:51 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Transmission Relearn Process. How to Avoid it?

I want to make a Transmission Fluid change & Filter but I heard that is necessary to reprogram the Auto-trans after this process.

HOW CAN AVOID IT?

I found some instructions to DIY Re-learn process, listed below:

Does it works?

1- Allow the transmission fluid to reach normal operating temperature. To do so, apply the parking brake and let the engine idle in neutral until the engine
cooling fan has cycled (turned on and off) one complete time.
2- Perform 15 launches from 0 to 50 mph at 25% to 50% throttle and brake lightly to a complete stop following each launch. This will address the 1-2 and 2-3 upshifts, as well as the 2-1 coastdowns as you brake to a stop.

3- Next, drive at 40 mph and tip into the throttle 50% to 100% until you achieve a 4-3 or 4-2 kickdown. Perform this 10 times.

4- After these first 25 shifts, the quick learn procedure should be complete. As mentioned above, shift quality will continue to improve following the quick learn procedure.

Without these first 25 shifts, however, your car could have poor shift quality.

RedPT07
Old 09 Sep 2010, 12:29 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Transmission Relearn Process. How to Avoid it?

When I had my auto trans fluid changed by the dealer (I have a 2003 Limited Edition), I drove it off the lot, and the first thing I noticed was that something was not right. The trans was not shifting when it should. I drove it home, called the service department at the dealer's, told them what was happening. They asked me to bring the beast back in for re-learning. They were sorry they had forgotten to do that when they changed the fluid.

I drove it back to them the folllowing day, and it took about 5 minutes. No charge, of course.

If I were you, I'd simply go to the dealer and have them re-do the software. It only takes them a few minutes--how much could they charge?

Tim
Old 09 Sep 2010, 01:42 pm
Cool Cruiser

Re-learn? why do they have to make things inconvenient like this?
Old 09 Sep 2010, 02:09 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This is odd but I changed te filter and the fluid in the pan refilled it and never had a problem ho would the tranny know you cnanged the oil???? or filter????
L2fish likes this.
Old 09 Sep 2010, 02:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

I was calling to dealers and:

Dealer #1
(Trans Service) - charge $180 and they said reprogramming it's included.
(Repro Trans) - charge $100

Dealer #2
(Trans Service) - charge $180 and they told me that not need to reprogram TCM.
(Repro Trans) - charge $100

Dealer #3
(Trans Service) - charge $150 and they told me there is no way to reprogram trans because for servicing (Fluid+Filter) doesn't affect the program of TCM, it's only if you change Solenoid pack or Whole Transmission.

Does anyone has experience doing "Trans Service" by itself?

Thanks,
RedPT07
Old 09 Sep 2010, 07:59 pm
Young Cruiser

This sounds like a lot of bollocks to me. Logically, I can't see how or why the computer would need to relearn anything by simply changing the fluid and filter. Does your engine need to relearn when you do an oil change? No.

In my opinion, if your car didn't feel right after you left the dealer, its because they screwed something up. Then you brought it back and they fixed it. Period.

I had my transmission fluid and filter changed last week at Jiffy Lube. There was no discernible difference in how the transmission behaved before/after the service. I'm quite certain that, even if the transmission DID need to be reset somehow, Jiffy Lube wouldn't have the specialized knowledge or equipment to do it.
Old 09 Sep 2010, 11:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well again I say I have changed the fluid and filter in my 06 non turbo 2x and never had to do anything I cant see any way the computer could know or why it would matter like the oil change thing
Old 10 Sep 2010, 06:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

X3. Watched mine being flushed and refilled ( I know the mechanic and was watching and talking the whole time). He took it straight off the rack to the parking lot, I paid and took it home. Ran just like it did before.

As Danno said, they screwed up and fixed it.
Old 10 Sep 2010, 08:31 am
Regular Cruiser

Thank you Guys

I'll do it tomorrow.... Valvoline ATF+4 W/ Duralast/Transmission Filter (A/T)

I was thinking to use "Seafoam TRANS TUNE" before change the fluid to clean residue on transmission.

I read that Chrysler do not recommend use any cleaner, additive to trans unless ATF+4.

They claimed:
TRANS-TUNE is NOT a stop-leak or super lubricant additive and is safe to use because it does not swell or harm seals in any way..

Does anyone has been used "Seafoam TRANS TUNE" or other trans cleaner before fluid change?
Old 10 Sep 2010, 06:47 pm
Senior Cruiser

Well, all I know is that when the dealer changed my trans fluid, the trans shifted at the wrong times. I took it back to them the folloing day, and they re-learned the computer (so they said), and then the trans worked just as it always had.

I wondered at this. I mean just because you changed the fluid, why does the trans need re-learning? But ... something was obviously wrong with the trans shifting sequence. And the shop guys only had the car a few minutes after I took it back in. A few minutes is not really enough time to do anything mechanical. I had checked the fluid level as soon as I got home that first day, and it was right on the money. So it wasn't as if they'd screwed up there.

And in the shop manual, it says that after replacing the trans solenoid pack, to re-learn the trans. Why? All you did was open the system, remove a few hoses, change a leaking trans solenoid, then put it back together again ....

I wonder if some years required this re-learning step--and others didn't?

I'll call the dealer and ask them about it and get back to this.

Tim