Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Grinding noise.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Sep 2010, 01:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Grinding noise.

We have a 2003 PT , an just recently 2-3 days ago we went to start it up in the Am and it had a weird grinding type noise coming from what sounds like the passenger front area.The car has a fresh oil change if that matters.

Mind you the car is not moving it is idling in a parking spot.The noise is rather loud in the morning but gets quieter as the car is drivin , though it never goes away. From the inside of the car it sounds as if it is coming from the pulley area.

Though what is weird is when you hit say uneven spots in the road while driving it seems to make the noise increase , but the noise is there wether driving or sitting still..

I was thinking power steering pump or bad bearing somewhere ?

Any other idea's ?

Thanks
2 - image dyamic ID 8's
1.8 cubes tuned 30hz
Old 07 Jan 2011, 01:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Grinding noise.

I have an '03 Limited. Do you live in Raleigh? Exact same thing has happened to me, just after an oil change. Although, my grinding noise only happens when in motion, and comes and goes. It pulses as well. Seems worse on colder mornings, and applying the breaks doesn't change the pitch at all. I can drive the car all day and hear nothing, then the sound starts while driving perfectly straight down the road.

It is coming from right front, was thinking maybe bearings or water pump? I'm guessing water pump as I have had to top it up a few times within the last year, and there is a slight smell of anti-freeze under the hood, although nothing on the ground. Am taking it in today for a flush. (It needs it) Just passed 70K.

Last edited by losmeme; 07 Jan 2011 at 02:46 pm.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 02:34 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Could be bearings on a pulley, often AC pulley's will start making like a glass marble sound as they wear down until it becomes a grinding noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtOnAir View Post
We have a 2003 PT , an just recently 2-3 days ago we went to start it up in the Am and it had a weird grinding type noise coming from what sounds like the passenger front area.The car has a fresh oil change if that matters.

Mind you the car is not moving it is idling in a parking spot.The noise is rather loud in the morning but gets quieter as the car is drivin , though it never goes away. From the inside of the car it sounds as if it is coming from the pulley area.

Though what is weird is when you hit say uneven spots in the road while driving it seems to make the noise increase , but the noise is there wether driving or sitting still..

I was thinking power steering pump or bad bearing somewhere ?

Any other idea's ?

Thanks
If it was the power steering pump the noise would be MUCH more pronounced when you turned the wheel while sitting still.

Last edited by RUBBERtoad; 07 Jan 2011 at 02:37 pm.
Old 07 Jan 2011, 02:47 pm
Young Cruiser

When our waterpump went out it was making a grinding noise even at a stand still.Along with the tensioner bearing was making noise reguardless of in motion or not.

Now the throw our bearing is whining , I really hate this car.
2 - image dyamic ID 8's
1.8 cubes tuned 30hz
Old 07 Jan 2011, 03:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PtOnAir View Post
When our waterpump went out it was making a grinding noise even at a stand still.Along with the tensioner bearing was making noise reguardless of in motion or not.

Now the throw our bearing is whining , I really hate this car.
Not many manufacturers today can make bearings to save their own soul let alone head gaskets
Old 07 Jan 2011, 04:16 pm
Regular Cruiser

I vote tensioner bearing. Could be water pump or alternator, but you'd be getting other indications that it would be those.

My tensioner bearing froze at some point and the belt got shredded. Least you can rule out the wheel bearing.
Old 10 Jan 2011, 09:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

I had that same problem but come to think of it I no longer do hear that noise. I never had the tensioner worked on but I did have my water pump changed out last year which may account for it. Also, around the 120,000 mile (60 miles before my warrantee ended) mark I noticed a high pitched squealing when the car was in gear but stopped with the break on. Turned out to be a bearing that went in the torque converter. The dealer told me that would have cost me $3000 to fix had it not been on warrantee still. Watch out for that one!