PT Cruiser Forum  

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

"Seafoam TRANS TUNE" on a automatic Transmission?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Sep 2010, 01:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default "Seafoam TRANS TUNE" on a automatic Transmission?

Does anyone has been used "Seafoam TRANS TUNE" before change the fluid to clean residue on transmission?

They claimed:
TRANS-TUNE is NOT a stop-leak or super lubricant additive and is safe to use because it does not swell or harm seals in any way..

I read that Chrysler do not recommend use any cleaner, additive to trans unless ATF+4.

Thanks,
RedPT07
Old 10 Sep 2010, 02:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: "Seafoam TRANS TUNE" on a automatic Transmission?

I'm not sure why you want to use anything other than ATF+4, when the manual says not to use anything??

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 10 Sep 2010, 02:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

Because I had erratic shift on my 2005 Malibu Ls since he has 45K miles and I did the 1st Fluid change at 50K and continous doing the same and at 75K miles I used half can of SeaFoam TRANS TUNE before the 2nd Fluid change and problem solve, that was 4K miles ago and no more problems.

I just want to know if anybody has been using it? to be sure does not harm 'Chrysler' Transmission.

SeaFoma Guys said:

TRANS TUNE is a 100% Petroleum product comprised of three specific oils, blended in just the right proportions to SAFELY clean varnish deposits in transmission, power steering and hydraulic pump components. TRANS-TUNE is compatible with all commonly used petroleum and synthetic based hydraulic fluids used in automatic transmissions, power steering systems, marine transmissions, agricultural equipment and industrial hydraulic lifts.

TRANS-TUNE reduces rough or erratic shifting by dissolving varnish that contaminates transmission valve bodies, bands, governors, pumps and passages. TRANS-TUNE makes the perfect system flush for transmissions, power steering and hydraulic pumps, removing damaging moisture and deposits that impair system performance.
TRANS-TUNE is NOT a stop-leak or super lubricant additive and is safe to use because it does not swell or harm seals in any way.
Old 10 Sep 2010, 02:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I'll say that the mechanic that did my trans flush used a can of BG cleaner before the ATF+4 change. I wasn't having any problems but it was part of the cost of having it flushed.

BG Products, Inc.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 10 Sep 2010, 09:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Crewzin is good to know you have experience applying transmission residue cleaner.

I'm thinking about to put "Seafoam Trans Tune" but I'm a little worry by the Chrysler picky guys with their transmission recommendations.

Let see....
Old 10 Sep 2010, 09:38 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

It was the Chrysler tech who used it as part of the flush. I didn't ask for it, he just ran it through the flush machine before the new ATF fluid. Do't know anything about the Sea Foam.
MY technical suggestions are given in GOOD FAITH without total guarantee, if in doubt go to a garage.
Visit My Home Page www.CREWZIN.com
Old 11 Sep 2010, 12:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

well I am a big time sea foam fan i run in in all my cars in the fuel and in the oil and have for a long time
now with that said I had a weekend set aside to do the tranny service on mt 06 PT filter and fluid so i added a can on a Friday morning thinking I would run it that day to work and back which is 195 miles and then drop the pan when i got home I did add the sea foam but things didn't work as I planned and it was in there for about 4 weeks don't know if it helped but that was 50,000 miles ago so i guess it did not hurt-- but like anything everyone's car is different and we all treat them different I always put a quart of Lucas in on every oil change but i know guys who will say man i put that in and it gummed up my motor
Old 13 Sep 2010, 02:37 pm
Regular Cruiser

Thank guys for your personal experience.

I did it this weekend, add more than 1/4 can of Seafoam transtune, drove 20 miles, did the filter change and fluid (+/- 4.75 quarts) and I've driven for 100 miles and car run great.

I did Seafoam to engine 1/3 intake, 1/3 oil (previous oil change) & 1/3 gas. White smoke = O.K.

I'm a big fan of Seafoam also.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 02:44 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

For future reference, most manufacturers specifically recommend against the use of any additives in any of the fluids. They recommend their own brand fluids only.

But Seafoam is a fantastic product and I've used it myself with very pleasing results.
Old 21 Sep 2010, 10:40 am
Regular Cruiser

heifetz has you been using TRANSTUNE on you transmission?