Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
just changed spark plugs with BWD wires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Sep 2010, 09:14 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default just changed spark plugs with BWD wires

I changed the plugs and wires today on my 2003 PT Limited. Though it only has 19K miles, I am not happy with its gas mileage, and would like do anything I can to improve it.

I already put in K&N filter, switched to synthetic oil, and finally changed plugs and wires today.

The tutorial in this forum is really good, and makes my life a lot easier.

I followed many cruisers' suggestion in this forum and bought Champion 7570 plugs from PebBoys, I also bought BWD wires at the same time. They were their highest priced wires for PT, about $55 for a set. I hardly heard this wire, but its price suggests it should be good.

I did not use a torque wrench, hope that's no big deal.

The wires coming out of the PT say "mopar G.X.2005 AATH" on its body, are they the original stock, or the mopar performance wires?

Last edited by edb; 11 Sep 2010 at 09:17 pm.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 07:51 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: just changed spark plugs with BWD wires

The MOPAR Performance wires I had were Blue, I don't remember if they had Performance on them or not. Stock wires are black.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 12 Sep 2010, 09:39 am
Obsessed Cruiser

so what kind of MPG are you or WERE you getting because on a average you can expect 21-22 maybe 23 at best
Old 12 Sep 2010, 09:40 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
The MOPAR Performance wires I had were Blue, I don't remember if they had Performance on them or not. Stock wires are black.
Mine are black.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 09:44 am
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
so what kind of MPG are you or WERE you getting because on a average you can expect 21-22 maybe 23 at best
Before air filter change, I got 17-18mpg. I got 19+ afterwords. My target is actually somewhere around 21-23mpg with spark plugs change, a very reasonable expectation.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 10:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

edb, don't use your A/C and always go downhill ... and then you'll get up to 24 MPG.

Seriously, I only get that kind of mileage in the winter (no a/c on), and out on the open road (going no more than 65 MPH.

Tim
Old 13 Sep 2010, 01:46 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Living here in texas, i can vouch for that. overusing A/C will wreak havoc on your mpg, if you find yourself going up a hill, make sure to turn your A/C off until you've made it up.
I prefer the wind as A/C anyways, ill have my windows down even if its 110 outside.
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.