Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
DUMB GiRl needs directions for tune up on 04 non turbo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Sep 2010, 03:00 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default DUMB GiRl needs directions for tune up on 04 non turbo

As the title says I need instructions on how to do a tune up on a 04 non Turbo. photos are most defiantly welcome lol
Old 12 Sep 2010, 04:08 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: DUMB GiRl needs directions for tune up on 04 non turbo

Well I have an 04 non-turbo! what a small world...anywho... The three things i cannot stress more, are to get platinum spark plugs, 8.5mm spark plug wires, and a K&N air filter, if you dont feel like coughing up at least 150$ for an intake, which definitely doesn't count as part of a tune-up. You could also simply clean the air filter that you already have, but a K&N brand filter will be more healthy for your car and doesn't cost very much money at all. The air filter is going to be located at the bottom right of your engine compartment, inside of that black plastic box. Its up to you to figure out how to get it off until someone whoes a lot better at explaining things can do a step-by-step or post pictures for you. :P
Spark Plug Guide Thers a very well explained step-by-step of replacing spark plugs, and the wires will be obvious to replace if you replace the plugs. Those 2 things should also increase your mpg slightly, so you cant really go wrong with replacing them.
The last thing i would suggest would be to check the PCV valve, i honestly wouldnt replace it unless its obviously cracked or broken. I know theres some that will say to do it anyways, and that wouldn't hurt a thing, but really isn't needed.
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.

Last edited by Freezinghot; 12 Sep 2010 at 04:19 am.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 06:53 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Just to add a couple things to the above post. The Spark Plug Guide was made for the earlier PT Cruisers and there's a short section on taking off the EGR valve in the back of the manifold. That valve only came on the 2001 and 2002 cruisers so don't worry about it, you won't see it if you look for it.

Second, the PCV valve is attached to a black rubber hose that comes off the right side of the valve cover and goes into (I think) the air intake. You can pull it right off and either replace it, easy and cheap, or I always went by the shake method, whereby you shook the valve itself. There's a small check ball inside the valve and it stops the fumes from coming back into the engine. If you shake it and the ball is loose and rattles, it should mean that the valve is OK. Any kind of hesitation on the ball to move (gunked up inside the valve) then replace it.

Here's a step by step for air filter and PCV valve:

Car Maintenance: Air Filter Check & PCV Valves | The Family Handyman
Old 12 Sep 2010, 09:44 am
Obsessed Cruiser

you will need a few basic tools but not much more than a 3/8 socket set with a plug socket some will say a tourk wrench but its not a have to have
Old 12 Sep 2010, 10:31 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruserdad1976 View Post
you will need a few basic tools but not much more than a 3/8 socket set with a plug socket some will say a tourk wrench but its not a have to have
Dad,

The problem with not having a torque wrench is that for you and me and lots of others, the "feel" of how tight things should be is good enough but for anyone not experienced with home mechanics, they will undoubtedly over tighten both the plugs and the 5 bolts that hold down the front of the intake. Those 5 bolts are extremely easy to snap off the heads (ask me how I know) and then she's in for a lot more trouble than she asked for.

If I remember right those bolts need only 105 in lbs, the plugs 156 in lbs. That's not very much and easy to over do.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 12 Sep 2010 at 10:34 am.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 10:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

Dana, get a Hayne's Manual at Napa, Pep Boys, etc. Also get a Craftsman "Inch Pound" Torque wrench--and read the instructions on how to use the wrench.

Follow the instructions these other guys have given you--and shown you in the pictures.

Use a stock air filter from the dealer (some after market ones, like STP don't fit all that well, and you don't want dusty air getting by the edges, etc.).

There are just two clips on the sides of the air filter housing that you have to un-do. Un-do 'em, and lift up the top of the housing. I like to unscrew the clamp on the big-ass hose that attaches to the housing so I can pull the housing off and really get in there to wipe clean the bottom of the housing, and also to check that little sponge to see if it's too clogged up with anything (someday I may replace it).

Install the new filter, make sure you get the housing top back on without unseating the new filter, press/push the side clamps back on, attach the big-ass hose, tighten its clamp, and you're kinda done. Except ...since you had the top of the air cleaner housing off, you might have taken a peek at your battery terminals and checked for corrosion at the terminals ....

Tim
Old 12 Sep 2010, 10:47 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Second, the PCV valve is attached to a black rubber hose that comes off the right side of the valve cover and goes into (I think) the air intake. You can pull it right off and either replace it, easy and cheap, or I always went by the shake method, whereby you shook the valve itself. There's a small check ball inside the valve and it stops the fumes from coming back into the engine. If you shake it and the ball is loose and rattles, it should mean that the valve is OK. Any kind of hesitation on the ball to move (gunked up inside the valve) then replace it.

Here's a step by step for air filter and PCV valve:

Car Maintenance: Air Filter Check & PCV Valves | The Family Handyman
crewzin
i tried taken off the pcv valve tonight with no luck, does it screw off ? which direction? ; if not should i just pull it off ? i dont want to break anything as it is plastic and propably dried out to
Old 13 Sep 2010, 01:53 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Im pretty sure that the 01 is located in a different place than an 04, not positive though
04 graphite(vroom!) N/A Limited 110,000 miles -original owner. Custom short ram intake ( CGS motor-sport pipe, specter open-end air filter, specter breathing hose),OEM spoiler, Pioneer receiver ,10" bazooka sub,Blue LED interior lighting, Bosch +4 plugs and Accel super stock 8mm universal plug wires.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 08:03 am
Young Cruiser

can someone help me here ?! i know you know the answer ,

does the pcv screw off or just must be pulled off to replace ?! does anyone remember
Old 16 Sep 2010, 08:26 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I can only answer for the 2001-02 cruisers as I don't know if they changed it after that. The PCV valve, on one end, the rubber hose just slips on/off but it might be stuck. There's no clamps, it just twists on/off.

The other end has a large molded nut, that when turned counter clock-wise, turns the whole PCV valve out of the valve cover. It's larger than any of my open-end wrench's and the largest I have is 22mm. The the nut is about 23-34mm or just use an adjustable wrench.