Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12 Sep 2010, 04:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Radiator problem

This is my first time posting and had an odd experience at the repair shop this weekend and wanted some opinions.

I have an '03 PT Cruiser turbo and last year I had a bad radiator.. The fan would get really loud since it was working overtime trying to cool the car since the radiator was bad.. OK, I go in to this place my parents trust and got the radiator repaired and haven't had any problems until about a week ago when the same thing started happening. Fan working overtime to cool the car, when I was stopped at a light for extended periods of time the temperature would start to go up.. So I took it back to the same shop since I get a discount through my parents.. They tell me the radiator is bad again and needs to be replaced. I don't know alot about cars but I think a radiator if its brand new should last longer than a year.. Make sense?

So I'm driving a spare car and my girlfriend is driving the PT away from the shop and she calls me and says shes coming back.. The car is making horrible noises and overheating really bad as if they forgot to put water in the car.. This is about 7pm and they're closing and I'm getting irritated since I had been waiting an hour after they said it would be ready. They look at it and tell me my radiator cap is bad. Now, wouldn't a brand new radiator come with a brand new radiator cap? Why would my old cap still be on the car? So I asked if one should come with the radiator and the repair guy looks like hes holding back a smile and says 'No... no new radiator cap'.

Sounds fishy to me. Any opinions? In all honesty I don't even remember if I had a brand new radiator put in last year, it may have just been repaired. Thanks.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 04:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator problem

I have bought replacement radiators and they do not come with the cap...but they should have checked it before putting the old one on.

If it was repaired it is possible for it to go bad in a year...especially if the wrong coolant was put in...anything but HOAT is the wrong stuff. Prestone does not make an HOAT antifreeze.
Old 12 Sep 2010, 07:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

PT radiator caps are not on the radiator. So when you get a new PT radiator, you don't get a cap that's not on it.

Tim
Old 16 Oct 2010, 12:26 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
PT radiator caps are not on the radiator. So when you get a new PT radiator, you don't get a cap that's not on it.

Tim
Is this PT radiator is the same as my AIM Parts radiator? I don't know whats wrong with ut but it seems to be overheating. I'm sorry i really don't have any idea about it.

Last edited by markyoung; 18 Oct 2010 at 09:40 pm.
Old 16 Oct 2010, 07:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyoung View Post
Is this PT radiator is the same as my AIM Parts radiator? I don't know whats wrong with ut but it seems to be overheating. I'm sorry i really don't have any idea about it.

Mark,

If you have no idea about it, find a trusted mechanic to diagnose your problem. If your overheating there's half a dozen things that could cause it including the thermostat, air in the cooling system, non-operative fan, cracked head or gasket or as your mentioned, the radiator which could be clogged.