PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
P0118 - Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit -WHERE IS IT?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Sep 2010, 10:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question P0118 - Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit -WHERE IS IT?

P0118 - Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input (I found it but have two questions please......)

I have this error code

1.) can anyone say if the car should be driven while the check engine is on and it has this code?

2.) how do you clear such a code to see if the problem has cleared yet? ( Is removing the battery cable the only way if you dont have a code reader?)

thanks

matt

PS I saw something in another post about removing the negative battery cable and so after much searching for the battery, pulled the cable and am waiting a few minutes.
PS2 So that worked for the CEL and the code. I will have to drive it tomorrow and see if this is more than a connection to the ECT problem (it was a little loose, and I cleaned it too)

Last edited by oldorange; 14 Sep 2010 at 12:02 am.
Old 14 Sep 2010, 05:38 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: P0118 - Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit -WHERE IS IT?

Yes, you can drive the car if the engine light is on. Depending on the code, you want to keep an eye on the temperature guage to make sure you don't overheat. When the fault is bad enough to hurt the engine the the light will be flashing on/off.

One of the mechanics on this forum says the engine light will go off by itself after so many cycles after the fault has been cleared. Most of us don't want to wait that long and clear it with the battery cable.