PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cold start shudder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14 Sep 2010, 11:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Cold start shudder

Hi all,
I posted a thread a while back about my pt and how it shudders when it's cranking up cold after sitting over night. This happens most of the time, and then when ever i start it again during the day, it starts regularly. I may be over reacting, but please tell me what you guys think. I have been trying to upload a video of it, but I keep getting a format error. I will email it to you if you want to see what i'm talking about.

Thanks so much!
Old 15 Sep 2010, 03:41 am
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Cold start shudder

What type of shudder is it? Does it act like it wants to die? Does it go away right away? Does it run poorly?

A slight shudder upon cold starting is fine provided it goes away right away once the engine actually gets through the start cycle and is idling. Even my 2010 does this.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 05:28 pm
Fresh Cruiser

This makes me feel a lot better! Yes, it is a slight shudder and then once it starts, it's fine. I was worrying because i have been searching online for these symptoms, and haven't found anything on this specific thing. I kept finding on different forums and sites that it was caused by a whole bunch of stuff like bad wires and plugs, or bad injectors. Anyways, thank you so much! I can rest at ease knowing my PT is fine.
Old 16 Sep 2010, 06:48 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm glad your PT is fine, ptguy, but I'm gonna horn in on this thread as being the closest to what I've been experiencing for the past week 'cause mine isn't so fine right now. I installed new plugs and plug wires about 750 miles ago and, once warmed up it runs good.
But for the past week I've been having a problem, that seems to be getting worse, where the car starts just fine, the rpms go up to about 1200 or 1300 like they always have. But lately, instead of the rpms falling slowly as it warms up, they've been dropping fast until the engine stumbles and nearly dies, then the tach needle bobs back up to around 1200 and falls again, it stumbles again, rpms go up again and then it seems to settle down and warm normally. I suspect either the charge air temperature sensor or maybe even a clogged PCV valve but those are just (uneducated guesses.) I checked for codes and it shows "no codes." But there are so many savvy folks on this site that I thought I'd see if I could get an answer here before going in to the dealer and paying beaucoups bucks on something that might be a simple fix.
Old 20 Jun 2011, 11:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I guess if you would really make things work out here, then you would have possibly make it happen very well. I guess some codes can confuse you, but in the long run, you need to really make things sure on this one.

Last edited by butlersdog; 21 Jun 2011 at 11:34 pm.

Tags
2.4, cold start, engine